Is it wise?????

Fly Boy
Fly Boy
06/13/2001 11:29 pm
Is it wise to just learn pieces out of books and mags and create a large catalogue of obscure pieces that nobody has ever heard of or if you are presented with a guitar a a party everyone asks for songs to sing-a-long to and what you play is the bouree by bach.

I have been accused of just wanting to play cool tunes but not learn to play the guitar. The pieces I like to play tend to be things that sound like I have made an achievement when I can eventually play it flawlessly.

Should people throw themselves straight into music theory and learn all kinds of boring things, or does this just put most people off playing quicker. I think when we all started to play the guitar there was always something weve heard and said to ourselves WOW this is really cool must learn this now.

FLY..... be free
# 1
Josh Tatum
Josh Tatum
06/14/2001 5:32 am
I say if your good enough to play it then go for it. For me I play anything I can get my hands on I am trying to learn as much as I can about theory but I also play the cool stuff. You are going to play the cool stuff when you get in front of people not scales and crap like that and you need to play stuff that is fun so you don't lose intrest and that is my opinion. Have fun bye bye.
# 2
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
06/14/2001 8:13 pm
Originally posted by Fly Boy
Is it wise to just learn pieces out of books and mags and create a large catalogue of obscure pieces that nobody has ever heard of or if you are presented with a guitar a a party everyone asks for songs to sing-a-long to and what you play is the bouree by bach.

I have been accused of just wanting to play cool tunes but not learn to play the guitar. The pieces I like to play tend to be things that sound like I have made an achievement when I can eventually play it flawlessly.

Should people throw themselves straight into music theory and learn all kinds of boring things, or does this just put most people off playing quicker. I think when we all started to play the guitar there was always something weve heard and said to ourselves WOW this is really cool must learn this now.

FLY..... be free

I think its ok to learn your favorite pieces.
i did when i started out but later on down the road,
when i started doing alot of club work plus teaching guitar,
i had to play alot of stuff or other styles of guitar,
that i really did/nt like but i/m glad i did because,
now i work alot more in my Band plus other Bands.
Back when i started what really got me was to hear a,
guitar player play a piece that i did/nt know how to play.
That would really send me to the wood-shed !
What i mean is i would stay up all nite or untill i got,
the song or lick down.I don't think you should force your,
self into music theory,but you should try learning some,
music theory but take your time.Its not so boreing once,
you get into it.I forgot to mention i also alwasy tried,
to hang around the best guitar players from my area,
plus out of the area.Then learn all i could from them or steal.If you know alittle music theory it can help you in a,
conversation with other guitar players to learn more stuff ,
from them.What i like about being able to play other styles,
is mabee one night we might have to play all blues,or the,
next nite all Rock or Country,Rockabilly, Jazz,pop or mix it up ect.
I think it gives you a break from the same old groove.
About the partys at a friends house or ect ,its alot,
more fun if you know aleast a few of thier tunes they want,
to sing ect,more than likely they will listen to your stuff,afterwards.
The main thing is have fun .
Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 3
Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
06/15/2001 8:36 am
"Of course, ask them to play something of their own, or have a jam session and ask them to come up with something and it's nothing but a lot of fret buzz, pausing, and bad excuses. "

Jam sessions are excellent to improve your knowledge. Every session i learn something new and get to work with until the next session. It's for me important not to do to many things in the same period. Concentrate on one scale or mode and chords at the time and work it out before moving to another. I sometimes get a little overwhelmed by all the possibilities but as often in life you have to make a choice. The jam session leader is a great guitarist and now i take some lessons. I hope my playing will improve much faster with these lessons.
So theory and practice go together. If you want to develop you must also get into the theory.

# 4
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
06/15/2001 6:24 pm
FLY BOY, are you refering to the snooker theme my man or perhaps to vision on or what about your favourite piece the bourree. But then again you do avoid stairway to heaven.

Just Kiddin' Brother, when are you coming up next, you old favourite's playin' guitar pickin man. LOL......
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.