in depth how to pick

kill em all
kill em all
01/23/2006 7:45 pm
I got Guitar principles the other day and I've come to picking technique. He says to move my entire forearm during picking rather than my wrist alone. I remember Kirk Hammett saying he and James play with their wrists. I am confused! Can someone explain to me EXACTLY how to hold a guitar pick and use it to pluck strings properly? Is Jamie wrong? Any insight into basic picking will be appreciated
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/23/2006 9:12 pm
Experiment and find what works best for you.
Everybody's different and it depends on what you're playing.
I'm constantly switching techniques, moving the pick around and using the tip, then using the edge, playing from the wrist then moving the pick between my fingers so I can tap, then playing from the wrist and using palm muting, then back again to using my arm... bending the pick to get more bite out of it, then tossing the pick away and grabbing a lighter one so I can play soft chords... toss that one away and grab a heavier pick for fast leads or throw the pick away altogether and use your fingernails or thumb.

Don't lock yourself into any one way of doing things and you'll have more options later on.
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/23/2006 9:21 pm
Originally Posted by: schmangeExperiment and find what works best for you.
Everybody's different and it depends on what you're playing.
I'm constantly switching techniques, moving the pick around and using the tip, then using the edge, playing from the wrist then moving the pick between my fingers so I can tap, then playing from the wrist and using palm muting, then back again to using my arm... bending the pick to get more bite out of it, then tossing the pick away and grabbing a lighter one so I can play soft chords... toss that one away and grab a heavier pick for fast leads or throw the pick away altogether and use your fingernails or thumb.

Don't lock yourself into any one way of doing things and you'll have more options later on.

Standing ovation....
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Armenian
Armenian
01/24/2006 3:52 am
guitar isnt a science, its a art.
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/24/2006 6:15 am
Which is why it's nice to have more than one color in your pallette.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/25/2006 2:42 am
mannn cant you feel the figuritive metaphors RACING through here. its incredible :D
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
kill em all
kill em all
02/12/2006 5:49 pm
tHanks for the figurative metaphors. Not what I was looking for, but I realize I was doing everything schmange was doing for the past year there must have been some level of correct practice or I wouldn't be where I am. Only practice makes better, and I've gotten better, therefore I have correct practice.

On the other hand, after picking wrongly for at least 9 months in my "computer chair and tab search" phase, what "feels natural" to me is wrong. The muscle tension has become a part of my playing and feels normal. I guess I just need to dedicate some of my practice time to muscle relaxation.
# 7
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
02/12/2006 6:47 pm
Originally Posted by: kill em all... what "feels natural" to me is wrong. The muscle tension has become a part of my playing and feels normal. I guess I just need to dedicate some of my practice time to muscle relaxation.

Seems to me, you've got a handle on it. :)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.