wat is the next step to becoming a better guitarest

Fret spider
Fret spider
01/20/2006 10:54 pm
basically i can play pretty fast with and without hameroffs, tapp, slide, do harmonics, do some pretty big bends and all the tremelo stuff, i can finger pick and sorta hybrid pick. i cant really sweep but im workin on that. apart from sweepin is ther anythin u can advice to learn, tequnique wise that is. im not like perfect on any of these teqniques but reasonable, and im gettin board of continually doin sweep exercises though it is the only way. im just hopin there is somethin knew to practice.

on the other side of things i am presently tryin to get my theory nailed to change my solos from a generic shred solo with no emotion. its not that i don't like playin fast, i can play slower and its more emotional and interestin but wat i really want to do is be able to play fast lines that are interestin instead of just runnin up and down scales. any advice on this or how to just in generall improve my solos style wise.
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/20/2006 11:46 pm
you gotta get your alt picking down before you can do much of any other solo techniques the right and easy way.

its going to be boring and slow, but its worth it in the long run. sweeping is just about the hardest technique out there- ive been playing 4? years now and i cant do it worth crap, but all my other solo techniques are good cuz ive taken the extra monotonus time to exercise all of it.

try learning some tapping. theres some superb lessons here by shmange :p
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
Fret spider
Fret spider
01/22/2006 8:23 pm
thanx for the advice.

with the alt pickin and tappin i can do both compitantly and pretty fast but wenever i do it it sounds quite exercise like. but thanx anyway. i guess i sort of hopped there would be some new tequnique i could learn that wasnt hard, therfore gettin better with no effort, but i guess that isn't the real world.

as with the songs i think ur rite i should learn more, but with all teh good tab sites down :mad: its harder than it was. also with learnin other peeps solos how do find is the best way to take some of there style, but without just copying there riffs and pastin them into ur on improv, i meen is better to analyse there style or wat?
# 3
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
01/24/2006 2:30 am
Originally Posted by: Fret spider

as with the songs i think ur rite i should learn more

If you're sick of learning songs, why not try writing some? It'll help you to get a better idea of the extent of your abilities.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/25/2006 2:23 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraI dunno, my alternate picking sucks balls, but my legato and sweep picking are pretty good (not that i'm trying to blow my own horn).

hmm. well i never got good at alt picking untill like... uhhh. when school started- that would be september. but i was horrible at one hand legato untill i could alt pick- id pick along and then gradually stop picking.

i guess its up to the individual. :o
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.