Micing live drums

Tampaguitar
Tampaguitar
01/17/2006 7:26 am
Sup fellas?

I am not sure if this applies here or not but I thought I would at least hope that someone that knows the answer to my question happens to stumble across this or can point me in the right direction.

I am looking for a little help on micing drums for live gigs

I have a Yamaha 16 channel mixing board with your basic low, mids, highs and gain knobs, thats all there is with an additional aux knob...

As far as the kick, snare, toms and cymble placements, does anyone happen to know a basic setup of each EQ for each mic set on a drum?

I'm new to this and would appreciate any help in giving me tips on setting the eq's for each of the 4 mics on a drumset for a club live setting

Thanks to anyone that can help me

Utah
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/17/2006 12:22 pm
it will depend on the mics you are using, the sound of the kit and to a lesser extent the shape of the room.

Generally EQing is left till the sound check. If you are nervous wait till the day and try and get everyone in early (often very difficult !!).

If you can, you might want to apply a little compression to the kick as it will just firm it up a bit.

I usually go two small diaphragm condensers for overheads (L & R about 2.5 ft over the drummers head), a kick mic in the kick and SM57s for everything else.

Best of luck !
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.