Pickup question Duncan Stag Mag

SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
01/12/2006 10:22 pm
I'm replacing the pickups in one of my guitars soon. It's an LTD guitar with two humbuckers in it, a 3-way switch, a tone pot and a vol pot. I'm not sure how many of you know about the Stag Mag's operating abilities. If split to single coil mode, the Stag Mag humbucker will act as a single coil pickup. The way the guitar is now you can run either of the humbuckers individually (with both coils running) or you can run one coil of each at the same time. So I'd like to just install the pickups without having to had an additional switches or anything. Can I do this? Or do I have to install a pull switch or something for the Stag Mag? I will probably do this later so that I can get true single coil sound out of the pickup, but right now I'm not trying to make things too complicated as this is my first ever pickup change.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/12/2006 11:12 pm
If you don't have a coil tap switch you can only wire it for one or the other.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
SteveAKCK
SteveAKCK
01/13/2006 5:49 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaIf you don't have a coil tap switch you can only wire it for one or the other.

Thanks for the reply. So I can keep the 3-way switch, the volume pot and just change out the regular tone pot with a 500K pull pot? Or what arrangement of switches and pots do I need? Also do you know if there's anywhere online that I can learn how to wire this up, especially with a diagram? Thanks

EDIT: I found the info I was looking for. On GuitarElectronics.com they have some great diagrams for all kinds of pickup setups so I just have to get the push/pull tone pot. Thanks for your help
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/13/2006 6:46 am
Hey good luck with that and if you have any other questions we'll be here. :D
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.