Greetings from Northeast Pennsylvania!

BigBobE
BigBobE
01/06/2006 5:41 am
Greetings All,

I'm a fifty-one year old fart who recently retired and always wanted to learn to play the guitar. My family picked me up an entry level Les Paul copy on eBay and a little fifteen watt Marshall amp with some effects a little before Christmas.

My musical taste goes from early metal (Zeppelin, Sabbath, MC5) to current acts like Greenday and Kid Rock. I also like the seventies and eighties "corperate" rock such as Boston, Journey and Foreigner...

I have been fortunate in my life to see what many people consider to have been the finest acts ever in R&R. My wife goes with me to the classic rock shows and I take one of my daughters to the heavier/punkier stuff...

I found this site a few days ago and liked it alot. It seems to get right to the point and let's me play a little right from the begining. As a new high bandwidth member I look forward to being able to play to the best of my desire and ability. For me, it's just about fun...

Thanks for the bandwidth and see ya'll around the threads... BBE
# 1
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
01/06/2006 6:07 am
Hey welcome to GT! I'm sure I'll see you around the boards all the time from now on. I'm sure you have lots of cool stories to tell us youngsters. Should be pretty cool. You seem very cool and the new guitar gives u more cool points. Take care. See ya around!
# 2
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/06/2006 7:30 am
dude, you are the coolest old fart from pennsylvania I've ever met! everyone I know in PA only listens to country, which is probably where my hatred of country comes from. I was born in PA, my dad went to penn state university for like 12 years, after which (when I was 4) we moved to california. but all my extended family is in PA, in like the southeast part, about an hour to an hour and a half away from philadelphia.

anyways, welcome to the boards!
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/06/2006 11:11 am
Man, I am glad to see some experienced concert goers. I wanna hear tales of 70's and 80's concerts. The shows today are pretty good. I just wish I could've seen Aerosmith or Kiss back in the old days.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
BigBobE
BigBobE
01/06/2006 11:56 am
Thanks for the greetings!

I'd really like to talk about some old concerts. I even recall some I went to waaaay back in the sixties. At one of my dad's company picnics I vaguely remember seeing Chubby Checker perform (lipsync) "The Twist". My brother and I were fortunate enough to see Jimi Hendrix at the Filmore East in '68 or '69. Could have been early '70! I think The Experience broke up and he played with the Band of Gypsys.

Caught the Allman Brothers Band at the Filmore too. There weren't any dead Allmans yet...

Growing up in NYC there were endless concert oportunities. Saw Mountain, Yes, Alice Cooper and numerous other bands at a local venue called the Ritz (Staten Islands Total Rock Enviornment Theatre).

Madison Square Garden and Nassau Coleseum were always on the agenda. Remember seeing Humble Pie (I think post Frampton), Jefferson Airplane, Rod Stewart (before he thought he was sexy), all of the Led Zeppelin shows that become the movie "The Song Remains The Same", The Bee Gee's (before the fever) Elton John, Springsteen (at the Stone Pony and a few more Jersey Shore Clubs I can't recall). Billy Joel...

I was at the Concert for Bengla Desh and a two day festival somewhere I don't totaly recall (Not Woodstock). There were perhaps a hunbred shows that I attended back in the day...

I never saw Kiss, but did have a Gene Simmons encounter during spring break somewhere around 72-74. It seems that kissing contests were popular around that time and he was at some club in Fort Lauderdale (The Button?) shooting some promo pictures in full costume and makeup. I didn't know who they were (don't think anyone did!) and asked him who the hell he was and what he was doing. I got the two minute explanation of Kiss and went back to some serious drinking!!!

More to follow...
# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
01/06/2006 12:02 pm
Ahh..the good ol days. I actually seen The Boss at Mile High Stadium when I was four('86-'87). The only vague thing I remember was a huge American Flag behind the band. Amazing I remember that much. Keep em coming man.

Oh yeah By the way if you want you can give yourself a cool title(See under my name where it says "I'm Watching") and a cool little picture like my blue eye. If you don't know how go to account at the top of the page. Then to edit your title go to Edit Profile you should see it there. And for the little picture go to edit Avatar.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.