Fender Midrange pickup windings

markphaser
markphaser
01/01/2006 6:50 am
Which pickups have alot of midrange , midrange boost, midrange peaks?

How do i wind a pickup to have midrange?

What causes a pickup to have midrange ?

What is Twang how do u wind a pickup for twang?
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
01/01/2006 7:24 pm
well, i dont know much about this subject but i believe that unaltered pickups ARE the mids.

like, if you turn down the bass and treble knobs on your amp, but turn the mids all the way up... thats the actual tone of your pups.

i read that somewhere, but i dont know how that helps you.... :(
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
01/03/2006 12:10 pm
Not to sound condesending... but if you have to ask those questions you should do so more research into the subject before you consider winding a pickup. I've never wound a pickup... I've seen it done... and its not for amateurs. Anyhow... Midrange is in fact the basic sound of a pickup. Depending on the magnet type the wire type and density, the tone may be different and the highs and lows may ring out slightly more. A pickup with a good mid range tone is most likely one of the variations of Alnico (Aluminum, Nickel, Copper). Stay away from pickups with ceramic magnets... they get too much high end... which leads me to "twang". Twang is a term used to describe the ringing high ends of a guitar. Twang is most closely associated with Telecasters because often they produce a tone that has clear highs... and often people use telecasters in clean setting because they're mainly a blues type guitar. Any other questions on the subject of winding pickups can be found in different literature. Take a look at some books at your local book store or Barnes and Nobles. Good luck
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.