Pickup Covers?

heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/30/2005 7:08 pm
I have a Tanglewood Les Paul copy. I was wonderin about pickup covers. Do they fit any humbucker pickup and how do u put them on? Probably a stupid question but im like changing all of the hardware on my guitar because it has all tarnish/rusted (i dont know what it is). I cant really buy a new guitar at the minute that is worth buying so I thought i will replace the hardware. Anyway so pickup covers?
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/30/2005 7:21 pm
Sorry, I don't really like covers. Main reason being I think the pickups add to the beauty of the guitar. Is it possible for you to just get new pickups? If you can it would be a lot better imo. When you do get a new guitar you could put your new pups in that one and the new stock ones in the old one.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
heknowsnothing
heknowsnothing
12/30/2005 9:53 pm
yea i probably will buy new pickups except for im afraid to touch the wiring. I once took apart a guitar and its still in peices :eek:
Besides i dont even know how to access the wires on an lp
Im not ok. Im not okhayhay. Im not ok.
Im not O f****n K.
# 3
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/31/2005 12:12 am
Once you take out the old ones and look at the diagram included with the new pups it's really not that hard at all. I changed mine out on a Gibson LP pretty easily without any prior experience. Good a time as any to learn!
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/31/2005 12:45 am
The attached pic is me and my Brand X (1984 Yamaha SBG1000) guitar. z0s0_jp messed with my hair, but it's the guitar I want you to see. The pickups are a DiMarzio SCHB at the neck, and a DiMarzio Dual Sound at the bridge. The SCHB came from the factory with a cover on it, engraved with the DiMarzio eclipse trademark. :cool: I installed a plain chrome cover on the Dual Sound to match the look. Covers keep dirt from getting into the pickups, and also provide much better shielding to keep out elctrical noise. They do NOT change the sound! They're made of brass, which does not interfere with the magnetic interraction between the strings and the pickups. I didn't have to modify the pickups or the mounting rings to accept the covers. To get the best shielding effectiveness, they should be soldered to the frame of the pickups. You may want to get a tech to do that for you.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/31/2005 12:51 am
I love that hair do on you. I suggest finding a wig and doing it up for halloween next year. You should just get a www.photobucket.com account. It's free and you won't have to worry about posting the hair-do pic if you don't want. Though, I think it's great.

As for the covers, they look OK but I still think the pick ups would look better. That's just me though.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/31/2005 1:01 am
YYMV. :)

I covered the Dual Sound bridge pup to match the covered SCHB. My other SBG1000 is identical except that it has stock, black, uncovered Tone Zone and PAF Pro pups.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.