PRS SE Custom

lpplayer
lpplayer
12/26/2005 3:51 am
I received a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom for xmas. As most know, this line is manufactured in Korea for PRS. I got it at Guitar Center for just under 500 dollars, with a very nice gig bag included. Here's my review:

22 frets, two zebra PRS designed humbuckers, volume and tone, three way switch, PRS designed tremolo bridge. Standard PRS 25 inch scale. Mahogany body, and nice sunburst flame maple top. Set Mahogany neck. Body is bound with maple binding- nice. Neck unbound, half-moon dot markers. PRS-stamped non locking tuners. They do offer a stoptail model, and a grey-burst finish model.

The fit and finish is in a word outstanding. I can not find an issue with this guitar, and I am extremely picky about even the minute details. The nut is well done, the frets are perfect and polished to a high gloss. Out of the bag, the low E string needed a slight raising, and the truss rod adjusted to my liking, and it was ready. The guitar is thin and lightweight, and comfortable sitting, as well as well balanced with a strap.

Sounds: I play through a Zoom 505 multi effect pedal, and a Marshall combo, plus my new Epiphone Valve Junior amp (also reviewed). The PRS designed pickups deliver great tones both clean and dirty. Not sure whats up...but the tone control is more versatile than other guitars I have (Epi LP's, Squier Double Fat Strat)...turning it down reveals a warm brown tone that does not become muddy...I like keeping it down a bit when on the bridge to warm it up. The controls are well placed. With both pickups on, you get that wonderful mix of tones that is almost like an out of phase sound. The neck pickup is warm and not muddy, and the highs still come through nicely. I am very impressed with the sound of these Asian made pickups. I think they kick butt over the Duncan Designed in my Squier, which are crap, and are much better than the stock Epi pickups in my Les Paul.

Tremolo: VERY smooth operation, can flatten the strings also has a bit of pick up. No pinging sounds heard- like I said- smooth. The only string that goes out of tune is the G....kind of irritating, but no tremolo is perfect, and eventually I hope to get a set of locking tuners for it.

Beautiful guitar that plays sweetly.
# 1
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
12/26/2005 7:41 pm
Thanks for the review! However, please reformat your review using the guidelines provided in the "sticky" for this section (that's the note that says "READ THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING -- THIS MEANS YOU!").
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 2

10/01/2013 4:37 pm
Originally Posted by: lpplayerI received a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom for xmas. As most know, this line is manufactured in Korea for PRS. I got it at Guitar Center for just under 500 dollars, with a very nice gig bag included. Here's my review:

22 frets, two zebra PRS designed humbuckers, volume and tone, three way switch, PRS designed tremolo bridge. Standard PRS 25 inch scale. Mahogany body, and nice sunburst flame maple top. Set Mahogany neck. Body is bound with maple binding- nice. Neck unbound, half-moon dot markers. PRS-stamped non locking tuners. They do offer a stoptail model, and a grey-burst finish model.

The fit and finish is in a word outstanding. I can not find an issue with this guitar, and I am extremely picky about even the minute details. The nut is well done, the frets are perfect and polished to a high gloss. Out of the bag, the low E string needed a slight raising, and the truss rod adjusted to my liking, and it was ready. The guitar is thin and lightweight, and comfortable sitting, as well as well balanced with a strap.

Sounds: I play through a Zoom 505 multi effect pedal, and a Marshall combo, plus my new Epiphone Valve Junior amp (also reviewed). The PRS designed pickups deliver great tones both clean and dirty. Not sure whats up...but the tone control is more versatile than other guitars I have (Epi LP's, Squier Double Fat Strat)...turning it down reveals a warm brown tone that does not become muddy...I like keeping it down a bit when on the bridge to warm it up. The controls are well placed. With both pickups on, you get that wonderful mix of tones that is almost like an out of phase sound. The neck pickup is warm and not muddy, and the highs still come through nicely. I am very impressed with the sound of these Asian made pickups. I think they kick butt over the Duncan Designed in my Squier, which are crap, and are much better than the stock Epi pickups in my Les Paul.

Tremolo: VERY smooth operation, can flatten the strings also has a bit of pick up. No pinging sounds heard- like I said- smooth. The only string that goes out of tune is the G....kind of irritating, but no tremolo is perfect, and eventually I hope to get a set of locking tuners for it.

Beautiful guitar that plays sweetly.

congrats on ur prs,i am a huge fan of prs guitars as i own three SE MODELS,AND ONE USA CUSTOM 24 59/09 PUP;S.and i too have the mark tremonti as well great guitar good choice.anyway i just really wanted to tell you if u had known all ready,u can put the prs phase 111 locking tuners on them u can send ur guitar to ptc (pauls tech center) they will put them on for $180 parts included,but u have to fill in the 6 original holes ur selv,or they can fill them in for a complete job $450.i seen a set of prs locking tuners on ebay for $ 185.good luck and enjoy that prs.btw i think there email is [email] prscustserv@prs.com
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.