View post (making an amp from junk?)

View thread

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/22/2005 3:34 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsOf course people can learn! My point is that a tuner is not a good candidate for conversion to a guitar preamp. I you really want to DIY, then dig up some schematics, spend some quality time with some reference material on tube specs and circuit design, and either build from scratch or pick something more suitable to modify.

rockonn91 obviously has some clear ideas of what he wants to achieve, and I told him not to waste his time on a tuner.

Radio Shack (now called "The Source"?) proto boards represent a step or two up from what I got my start on. I would recommend the audio output of an old tube table-top radio as a much better place to start. If you have the interest, go with it. Just do some research first, and be very careful playing with those lethal voltages!

Ok Well I got this old fender frontman 15watt amp. Should I gut it then replace the board it has or should I add to it. It would be nice to be able to add some tubes somehow. Would I be able to even add tubes to a solid state? I'd be up for using the Fender board as a jumping off place then putting a finished product in a bigger box or using it as a preamp setup. I know a little about electronics so I'm not flying blind here. If you say I have a decent chance I'll do all my homework. If there's some info that is unclear or something could you give me a hand?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons