Help Needed With Tuning

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
12/19/2005 5:24 pm
just got my first electric guitar and tuned it way to violently so that one of the strings broke, i bought another set of strings and the same thing happened so i cruised around websites which said rather tune a string down then up. Well it seems to have worked for all but one of my strings which is showing up as D# on the tuner. Does the # symbol mean that i gotta keep tightening the string till i get the note? I'm afraid i might break the string. The same happened when i went on my 1st string E and tuned it down to a C i got the # symbol. I really don't wanna break anymore strings and i have a few cuts on my hands that agree with me.
# 1
Tyler Murphy
Tyler Murphy
12/19/2005 6:34 pm
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=1734
this should tell ya how to tune.
# 2
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
12/19/2005 9:45 pm
yes but i want to tune it with my digital tuner. So does the # mean that i should keep winding up until i hit the note again?

you know how they say not that many ppl are tone deaf, they just think they are, well i've actaully got slight deafness as a genetic thing, so i don't hear certain things to well, so i think manual tuning will have to wait.
# 3
thunderhoads
thunderhoads
12/19/2005 10:00 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmoosejust got my first electric guitar and tuned it way to violently so that one of the strings broke, i bought another set of strings and the same thing happened so i cruised around websites which said rather tune a string down then up. Well it seems to have worked for all but one of my strings which is showing up as D# on the tuner. Does the # symbol mean that i gotta keep tightening the string till i get the note? I'm afraid i might break the string. The same happened when i went on my 1st string E and tuned it down to a C i got the # symbol. I really don't wanna break anymore strings and i have a few cuts on my hands that agree with me.

the # symbol is for d sharp which is a half step higer than d itself, you need to tune back down till the tuner just reads d, same thing aplplys for all the strings. hope this helps
# 4
thunderhoads
thunderhoads
12/19/2005 10:03 pm
the # symbol stands for d # which is a half step higer than d itself, you'll need to tune back down till the tuner just reads d. hope this helps
# 5
suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
12/20/2005 8:09 am
retarded question ... tuning back down means, in essence, loosening the string, correct?
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.