playing scales

Wide
Wide
05/31/2001 10:31 am

I use a silly little way of playing scales sometimes...I alternate between my thumb, using a thumbpick, and index finger, ascending.. Descending, I also use my middle finger. The sound of the thumbpick and the sound of the flesh of the index finger are quite different. When alternating between the fingers I can punctuate notes on different beats, depending on which finger I start the scale with...Does this make any sense? Does anyone understand me or should I maybe stop this and learn some "real" stuff....

/Wide
# 1

05/31/2001 6:01 pm
Interesting method you have there, sounds cool... never heard of it before, but hey, go with what works. To be honest though I can't see how you'd get real speed from that, but if you don't care about speed that it's no problem.

I suggest also learning the tried and true alternate-picking method. A staple in guitar playing if you ask me.
# 2
Wide
Wide
05/31/2001 6:36 pm
hehe...I can play faster with "my technique" than with normal alternate picking using a flatpick. It's really strange... Works best for chicken pickin' Brent Mason style.. isn't really so good for shredding =)

I wonder how Brent Mason plays when he uses a thumbpick, I would sure like to know that.

/Wide
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.