money

kill em all
kill em all
12/17/2005 4:33 am
I pool with my band, we have fairly entry-level equipment. What did you guys do when it was time to get with the program and buy some gear to function as a band. This is really being a pain we have to consider so many different things before anyone makes a purchase. I just want to play music with my friends, why is money such a shackle!? How can I get mor dough? If I get a job my grades will either drop ( dad will revoke my guitar again ) or I will study and have no time for practice. We've pretty much sold everything we can get away with selling. I really don't see any options except cheap equipment. What is the point in selling all your crap for equipment that you wouldn't gig with? There has to be some way I can make money for very little time and alot of effort!
# 1
thebluesbreaker
thebluesbreaker
07/22/2006 3:59 pm
insurance scam but that would be illegal
# 2
Tekime
Tekime
07/22/2006 5:07 pm
Well nothing in life is free my friend! Sacrifice a few days per week on practice and get everyone involved to work their butts off instead. Pool every cent you earn and it will all pay off in the end.
I suck, and I'll probably always suck, but if ever stop sucking, and start talking about how good I am all the time, I encourage you to punch me in the head.
# 3
acapella
acapella
07/24/2006 5:41 am
Do you live near a big city? Go to the city and if you ask 2000 people for a dollar, you could each make $2000 that day. I dunno if that works or not...
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
07/26/2006 11:17 am
When I was in school I set up a gardening business which kept me in beers at the weekends and music gear. I printed up the flyers myself on a photocopier and then cherrypicked the addresses with nasty looking gardens and of course, friends of the extended familly. Then when I went to college I got a student loan for a computer "to help me though the course" which I then invested in the stock market (seriously!). I with penny stocks that were actually getting a return (1 cent today, 1.5 cents next week, then back to 1 cent the week after and so on - so it was a case of buying and selling the same stocks over my entire time in college). I made about 10 grand from the initial loan of 1K over my 4 years in college which, I put to good use chasing women & drinkin beer... I think I even bought a guitar with it too :D

One serious piece of advice though, DON'T buy gear with anyone else. It may seem like a great idea now but bands come and go as do friends, and the last thing you want is to be gearless because you fall out with a friend who decides to keep the equipment. Been there had that done to me!

I'm afraid you're going to have to do it the old fashioned way... give up your weekend mornings and afternoons and work very hard! (unless of course you can get a large student loan and have an interest in the stock maket... :p )
# 5
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
08/22/2006 10:48 pm
I think playing guitar is like life - it's not a sprint - it's a marathon.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 6
aschleman
aschleman
08/23/2006 6:56 pm
i did what most people do when they want money... i got a job. i know it sounds pretty crazy....
# 7
ren
ren
08/24/2006 8:32 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraI have no interest in the stock market, but my student loan should be coming through soon! :D

I spent mine on beer and women.... no regrets :D

I only paid off my uni debt 6 months ago (meaning it took me 8 years!), but man, was it worth it....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.