Fender Mexican Strat or Highway 1 Strat

cooledtube2
cooledtube2
12/13/2005 1:24 am
i was wondering if anyone has bought a highway 1 stratocaster. if i buy one i plan on putting an invader humbucker in the bridge and i was wondering if it would be a better idea to just buy a mexican strat, or is the quality of the highway 1 that much better?
# 1
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/13/2005 2:02 am
i own a mexican strat, and you know what, ITS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING GUITARS I HAVE EVER PLAYED!!! umm, from what ive heard the highway ones are good, but not incredible...but i think that you should get a mexican, plus i also like s-c pups more than humbuckers,(usually) but in the end, its your choice.
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 2
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
12/13/2005 2:21 am
Get the Highway 1 !!! The quality between the mexican and highway1 is like day and night! I was lucky, I got a real freaking sweet highway 1! It's feels just like if not better than the american standard! And sounds sweet too.
The wood quality of the highway one is the same as american standards, the difference between highway 1's and american standards are somewhat different necks (barely any difference), finish (highway has a lighter finish), different colors, and hardware. get the highway 1!
I am Comfortably Numb... :D

Oh yeah...STICK IT TO THE MAN!
# 3
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
12/13/2005 2:31 am
I would have to say to go with Mexican. it's cheaper and about the same quality as a Highway 1. Especially if your gonna change out the pickups anyway. You could even for a Fernandes or something and drop the humbucker in. Save your money and get pretty much the same thing.

As you will come to learn. Fender is a hit and miss company these days. A squier can be better than a mexican and a mexican can be better than an american. Really the only ones you cna trust are the custom shops. but then again $$$$
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 4
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/13/2005 2:49 am
Originally Posted by: Tele MasterI would have to say to go with Mexican. it's cheaper and about the same quality as a Highway 1. Especially if your gonna change out the pickups anyway. You could even for a Fernandes or something and drop the humbucker in. Save your money and get pretty much the same thing.

As you will come to learn. Fender is a hit and miss company these days. A squier can be better than a mexican and a mexican can be better than an american. Really the only ones you cna trust are the custom shops. but then again $$$$

ya, your right, its a hit and miss guitare world, all those big brands that mass prduce their guitars, you just gata find the perfect one for you.
# 5
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
12/13/2005 8:44 pm
yeah, my highway1 strat is better than american, but i played another highway1 and it felt and sounded like crap! it is very hit or miss!

# 6
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/14/2005 3:05 am
i mean everything is hit and miss, now because they produce them by the what...hundreds of thousand?
# 7
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/16/2005 1:23 am
Originally Posted by: PonyOneThe last Highway 1 I played was so painfully devoid of tone... it had no natural articularion or sound, it was just... flat, and when plugged in, sounded as such. Just plain uninteresting. I've played Korean $100 guitars that ran circles around it. But then I played another that had a great, full sound that was just beautiful.

I love my Mexican Strat... it is tonally awesome, I knew it from the first chord I hit on it.

As with anything, play the individual piece of gear that you will be buying and taking home, blind faith leads to lots of frustration and angst when you get let down.

Yes!!!!someone else who loves (and has ) a mexican strat lol
# 8
Blues_Man
Blues_Man
12/16/2005 2:28 am
I really don't like to play on mexican strats because one, the pickups feel too much like squier, 2. the wood quality and finish aren't up to my standard. Also I searched forever to find the highest quality highway 1 possible.

# 9
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/16/2005 2:38 am
well, like i said in some other thread, im changing mine to the american texas pickups, cuz the pups on my strat are kinda annoying...lol
# 10
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/16/2005 4:33 am
This is IMHO, so take it as you will. The Highway 1's are just a gimick to make more money, and the American's are extremely overpriced in comparison to the quality you get from the MIM's. Whichever route you got, you need to play as many of each as you can, because none will play the same as the last one you played. Honestly, if you're going to put a pickup like an Invader in it, I would just get a cheap Squire that feels good. Take a cheap Squire and an overpriced American, put an Invader in them, and I will bet money that blindfolded, you couldn't tell a difference in the tone. If you want a pickup with high output, I would look into something like a Bill Lawrence L500XL. I have a Duncan JB in one of my guitars, and it has more than enough output for any metal I want to play. It all depends on your complete setup though.

I have a friend who got a very cheap squire double fat strat, put two PRS Dragon I's in it, changed the tuners, nut, and bridge, and I swear! it is one of the sweetest playing and sounding guitars I've ever played. He might have a total of $400 in the guitar (including the guitars price), and I would put it up against any guitar costing 4 times that much.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 11
bigrod
bigrod
12/22/2005 8:37 pm
My next Strat will no doubt be a Highway 1 w/ the late-'60s big headstock, but right now I love my Mexican '95 Special; it's my 1st Fender and she's been so good to me! :D
# 12
Zathros
Zathros
05/02/2006 11:25 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOneThe last Highway 1 I played was so painfully devoid of tone... it had no natural articularion or sound, it was just... flat, and when plugged in, sounded as such. Just plain uninteresting. I've played Korean $100 guitars that ran circles around it. But then I played another that had a great, full sound that was just beautiful.

I love my Mexican Strat... it is tonally awesome, I knew it from the first chord I hit on it.

As with anything, play the individual piece of gear that you will be buying and taking home, blind faith leads to lots of frustration and angst when you get let down.

I just bought one of the "new and improved" Mexican Strats and I love it. According to Fender, the PU's and the trem block and the tuners have been upgraded and the guitar is now shielded. No complaints here, I won't need to do anything to this guitar except play it and take care of it. It sounds right and it was well set up right off the wall at the music store.

My Mexican Tele is a different story. This one is gonna need new PU's and tuners. It sounds pretty good unplugged, but the electronics just don't make it. I also dislike the 6 saddle bridge so that's going too. A friend suggests the Wilkinson Tele bridge as a replacement. Fortunately, I got this guitar free, so I don't mind putting a little money into upgrading it.
# 13
gogogo
gogogo
06/08/2006 4:44 am
Anyone had any experience with Fender's custom 69' set I really love the tone that cream and hendrix experience had going around this time and I was just wondering how they honestly compare. I would be putting these into a highway one strat btw. Thanks a bunch ;)
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.