My amp makes popping noises now

kill em all
kill em all
12/12/2005 9:02 pm
yesterday I ran my amp into a sound system for a school presentation and then this morning I was jamming before school and I heard a loud scringy noise. I cut it off and went to school, now I'm home and it makes loud popping noises when I hit strings and it increases with how hard I play the strings. What's up? how can I fix it?
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/12/2005 9:29 pm
Hmmm what was the input? Just your guitar or something a little more?
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
12/13/2005 5:02 am
is there a line out plugged in and crushed against the wall ?
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/13/2005 5:09 am
Originally Posted by: kill em allyesterday I ran my amp into a sound system for a school presentation ...[/QUOTE]
What kind of amp? Tube or transistor? How did you connect it? What did you connect it to? Did it work all right for that presentation?

Originally Posted by: kill em all... then this morning I was jamming before school and I heard a loud scringy noise. ...[/QUOTE]
Uhh, what does a "scringy noise" sound like?

Originally Posted by: kill em all... it makes loud popping noises when I hit strings and it increases with how hard I play the strings. ...

This can't be good...

[QUOTE=kill em all]... What's up? ...

I can't even guess without better information. Can you answer the previous questions, please?

[QUOTE=kill em all]... how can I fix it?

Without a better understanding of the situation, I can only suggest that you take it to an amp service tech, along with the answers to the questions I asked.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
kill em all
kill em all
12/13/2005 11:18 pm
The amp is fender prestige 65 (the discontinued edition). Solid state. For the presentation we didn't hook it through the system but we did for all of our rehearsals and it was fine, I just thought that might be it. Later I realized my clean channel (the channel I was on for our presentation) was on ten and I remembered seeing a techie student mess with the amp right before we began! Then I remembered up at Dunham's Music how someone blew a marshall stack because they put it on 10. You think that's it, why didn't it pop after I brought it home? I just put my guitar through it and I have no idea what the school runs for PA. By the way, a scringy noise is a high-distortion ( >80db ) scream with a pitch of high "b" or sharper. It is very displeasing to the ear is equivalent to a continuos version of the sound heard when a speaker is blown.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.