the deal I just couldn't pass up!

6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/09/2005 2:19 am
alright, so I got my musician's friend newsletter as always, and it's talking about this 12 days of christmas sale... so I decide to see what's on sale, and alas! I find something I like for almost 50% off! going from $950 down to $500! so I said, screw buying a new car! I can drive my dad's car for a while longer, besides, I doubt I would be happy buying a $3600 car anyway, so now I'm going to save for a while longer and then get a $5000 or $6000 car in a few months. so what was this deal I couldn't pass up? well, it was a peavey XXX super 40 EFX all-tube combo amp! now, my mom didn't want me to buy it... so she refused to pay for it with her credit card, so I went out and had to get a $500 money order which I'm going to mail tomorrow. so hopefully I'll have this amp before christmas. so there's my update on my gear.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 1
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/09/2005 1:05 pm
dude, I love guitargirlfriends...they crack me up...(you know, those girls that just go with you, or someone else...usually someone else,unfortunately...to the store and just stand around as you, or someone else, or both of you talk about/argue about/try out all the gear...and they sit and attepmt not to seem incredibly bored, but you, or someone else, can see that she blatantly is...but you, or someone else, choses to ignore this fact, as she very definately did want to come to the store, so you, or someone else, doesnt feel guilty, even tho you, or someone else, should...

ok, I lost myself, or someone else, there.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/10/2005 12:54 am
Wow, a new record. This thread went completely off topic with the first reply! (or did I miss something :confused: ) Either way, that's pretty cool Pony. You found a chick with a fetish for guitarists. Ahh, I can only dream :o

Anyway, about the amp. I would get the one that didn't have the effects in it. the effects in the signal chain will have a negative effect on the "tube" tone. Besides, what happened to that pedal board you were working on. Individual effects will alway's sound much better than those built in effects.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
16andlifetogo
16andlifetogo
12/10/2005 1:10 am
damn, thats awsome 6strings! good luck with the new amp :cool:
Later in the evening
As you lie awake in bed
With the echoes from the amplifiers
Ringing in your head
You smoke the day's last cigarette
Rememb'rin' what she said
Originally Posted by: Cryptic ExcretionsI'm a super hero. It's what I do.
# 4
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
12/10/2005 6:27 am
peavey XXX super 40 - $899
peavey XXX super 40 EFX - $949

peavey XXX super 40 sale price - $699
peavey XXX super 40 EFX sale price - $499

which do you think I'm going for? I have no plan on using the effects whatsoever. I only got it cause it was cheaper. I'm still going to get that pedalboard together, I need a chorus, delay, and a different wah (the dunlop GCB-95 sucks) but I put all those things on my christmas list, and then a package from musician's friend arrived for my mom... so... I'm thinking I might be getting one or two for christmas, so I'm waiting until after christmas to complete my pedalboard.

btw, I just finally got around to getting that letter in the mail at about 9:30 tonight... and I looked on the mailbox and it says they pick up the mail at 1:00 pm on saturdays.. so that letter probably won't get there until like thursday or friday, it probably won't ship until the following monday (maybe) and I probably won't get it for 2 weeks or so (from today).. oh well, when it does get here, I'm sure I'll be stoked.
my spyspace
# 5
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
12/10/2005 5:59 pm
man! :D thats a good deal..tell us how it goes with your new amp!good luck sarge!haha
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 6
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
12/11/2005 11:09 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaWow, a new record. This thread went completely off topic with the first reply! (or did I miss something :confused: ) Either way, that's pretty cool Pony. You found a chick with a fetish for guitarists. Ahh, I can only dream :o
Anyway, about the amp. I would get the one that didn't have the effects in it. the effects in the signal chain will have a negative effect on the "tube" tone. Besides, what happened to that pedal board you were working on. Individual effects will alway's sound much better than those built in effects.

strangely, I find myslef agreeing with Playas entire post, the topic was changed, Pony is lucky, and effects built into a tube amp are generally pants...
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 7
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/26/2006 6:57 am
I'm just curious, did you ever get the amp?
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/26/2006 7:16 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaI'm just curious, did you ever get the amp?

yes I did actually! amazing little amp, awesome clean channel, great crunch channel, the ultra channel is ok for playing rhythm work (at least, the kind I like, which is palm muted powerchords combined with one and two string riffs.) but the ultra channel has an awesome lead tone! especially when you put a little slap back delay on it! the effects really aren't as bad as you would think digital effects to be. I only use the delay and the chorus, I can't see myself ever using a "funk wah" or "phaser" other then to play around with. maybe tremolo, but it would be rare, and it would only be a little.. btw, rotary speaker sounds totally trippy!

but for $500 this amp puts out amazing tone! I'd still like to get me a marshall mode four, B-52 AT100, or Mesa dual/triple rectofier, or possibly a 5150 (I haven't really played one, so I couldn't say for sure) eventually. but that's in the distant future. this amp is definately going to keep me satisfied for a while at least.
my spyspace
# 9
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/26/2006 7:30 am
Cool! I actually own an AT-100. All I can say is man that thing is awesome. Post a review about it later and tell us more.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 10
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
01/26/2006 7:38 am
Originally Posted by: bigbudaCool! I actually own an AT-100. All I can say is man that thing is awesome. Post a review about it later and tell us more.

oh I know, I tried it out once and was amazed at how the tone was exactly what I was looking for. I played it back to back with the marshall mode four, and couldn't decide which I liked better. they were both awesome. if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the B-52 since it's way cheaper. lol
my spyspace
# 11
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
01/26/2006 7:50 am
So far mine has worked great. I think one of my preamp tubes is taking a **** on me though. When I play through the High or Low input on the front of the amp i get a crackling noise from time to time. It never happens when I play through my effects loop though so I'm pretty sure it's a preamp tube. I plan on having the whole thing re-tubed soon anyway so it's cool. Mine is a halfstack and it will shake the walls. My wife hates it. HAHAHAHA :D
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.