Strings and Tone

Armenian
Armenian
12/07/2005 3:38 am
Do The Thickness of Strings have any effect on the tone?
i like light strings but i think they might sound kinda thin, do they have any certain brand of strings or anything that gives light strings a "richer" tone.

1 more question:
does the thickness of strings have anything to do with how much tension you must apply to the strings.
# 1
gogogo
gogogo
12/07/2005 4:17 am
String material, string height or action as it is more commonly known, brand, and gauge can all affect tone...to a certain degree. I my self started out with nickel wound, light gauge ernie balls on low action. I have since gone to a fairly heavy gauge ernie balls on high action. I would say that as far as it goes, comfort and personal style really have more influence than tone. Tone comes from the fingers as I always say. ;)
# 2
irg7620
irg7620
12/07/2005 4:23 am
i have always been told, and i believe it, that the bigger the strings, the bigger or deeper the tone. i have always believed that that is due to the bigger area that the string(s) cover over the polepieces or blades of the pickups. as far as the tension, i know that when you want to tune down low, go for bigger strings since bigger strings have more tension in them and this will keep them from being too floppy or loose. unless you want to have floppier strings. smaller strings are better suited for higher tunings since there is alot less tension exerted on the guitar. the more mass, the more power that needs to be used to stretch the strings to the desired tuning. i love heavier strings for real low tunings. but, it's all about taste, tone, and hand feel.
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
12/07/2005 6:31 am
Originally Posted by: irg7620i have always been told, and i believe it, that the bigger the strings, the bigger or deeper the tone. i have always believed that that is due to the bigger area that the string(s) cover over the polepieces or blades of the pickups. as far as the tension, i know that when you want to tune down low, go for bigger strings since bigger strings have more tension in them and this will keep them from being too floppy or loose. unless you want to have floppier strings. smaller strings are better suited for higher tunings since there is alot less tension exerted on the guitar. the more mass, the more power that needs to be used to stretch the strings to the desired tuning. i love heavier strings for real low tunings. but, it's all about taste, tone, and hand feel.

Exactly what I was gonna say! :D
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.