Guitar Port Set-up

Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
12/04/2005 2:35 pm
OK first of all forgive me if this topic has been covered before. I've done a search for Guitar Port and it returns waaay too many threads to wade through so If anyone can help with my problem, apologies and appreciation.

Anyway, basically I've just bought one. I've never played through a computer before so this is all a dark art to me. I connected everything up all Ok but I'm getting a large amount of buzz and hum. It's worse through some pick-ups than others as you'd expect and i've gone through the hum cancelling thing but that only gives a marginal improvement. Clicking the mute button on the interface improves things quite a bit but am I doing something basically wrong? I'm playing though headphones at the moment with the computers speakers still connected - could this be a cause of interferance? Also i've got a wireless keyboard and mouse - would this cause interferance? I'm playing a Fender Strat through it which is my preferred instrument in this environment because my computer room is so small you can't swing a cat, but would I get better results via the humbuckers of my Epi Sheraton?

Any thoughts appreciated
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/05/2005 12:28 am
Playing right infront of a computer screen will cause a lot of hum. Try turning sideway's from the computer screen, and/or back away from it as far as you can.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/05/2005 12:57 am
Originally Posted by: PRSplayaPlaying right infront of a computer screen will cause a lot of hum. Try turning sideway's from the computer screen, and/or back away from it as far as you can.

yeah this is huge. If you can turn off the screen.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
12/05/2005 10:04 pm
Thanks guys - that does the trick. I knew it would be something simple. :D
A few more questions if I may.

The green light on my guitar port often flicks on and off to red - does this mean i've got a poor connection?

As far as monitors go I'm using a dirty great 21" CRT screen (a bit of a neccessity working in publishing). I imagine this is throwing out a pretty powerful magnetic field so would a smaller TFT flat screen be any better? (anyone had a chance to compare CRT with TFT in terms of interference)

I've got 5:1 surround sound speakers on my computer but I'm just using the guitar port with headphones. I'd like to get some deicated speakers for it. Anyone have any recommendations?
# 4
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/05/2005 10:49 pm
I think those LCD flat panel monitors don't interfier as bad. As far as speakers go, I use a pair of active M-Audio BX8's. They're a bit overkill size and power wise, but they do get the job done nicely. The BX5's would be a decent choice as well. Alesis also makes some nice active monitors for a decent price.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.