Smashing Guitars

Martin Spaans
Martin Spaans
05/28/2001 1:25 pm
Sometimes musicians smash their guitars into several pieces by brute force during their performance.
I allways get a little angry with that, you can better throw it in the public or give it away to a fan.
Is this habitt only done by some professional guitarists or are some of you doing it also and why?
Maybe we can make a top ten of famous guitar smashers.
I know a few:
Jimmy Hendrix
Pete Townsend

# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
05/28/2001 4:45 pm
i always thought it was pretty cool, but i never could figure out why someone would waste a guitar like that, anyways i've seen pete townshend toss his guitar out to his fans before
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/28/2001 7:14 pm
I myself haven't got the heart (or lack there of) to smash a guitar.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
justinsane666
justinsane666
05/28/2001 7:36 pm
I COULDN'T DO IT MYSELF... LOVE MY GUITAR TOO MUCH! BUT IT IS DAMN COOL TO WITNESS!:)

GOT ONE FOR THE TOP 10 LIST... KURT COBAIN. NOT ONLY DID THE GUITAR GOTO HELL, BUT EVERY ****ING PEICE OF EQUIPMENT ON STAGE WENT ALONG FOR THE RIDE TOO!!

THINK ABOUT IT...
LATER!
"BETTER TO BURN OUT,
THEN TO FADE AWAY!"

J.B.
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/28/2001 11:27 pm

I've gotta agree with Martin up there. As cool as it may look, it pisses me off to see a lot of good equipment wasted in that way. I would be a lot more impressed if they gave their stuff away to their fans instead of burning it, smashing it, whatever.

# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/29/2001 1:53 am
I remeber Hendrix talking about it. He said guitar was like his soul (as we all feel at some point), and that burning his guitar was like making a sacrifice, to the god of music. He was possibly on acid at the time. Nice comment though.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
Joseph
Joseph
05/29/2001 3:50 am
Originally posted by Martin Spaans
Sometimes musicians smash their guitars into several pieces by brute force during their performance.
I allways get a little angry with that, you can better throw it in the public or give it away to a fan.
Is this habitt only done by some professional guitarists or are some of you doing it also and why?
Maybe we can make a top ten of famous guitar smashers.
I know a few:
Jimmy Hendrix
Pete Townsend

Well, yeah it frustrates me too. For the most part, Ive always believed that every guitar has a soul, :D. I think that there are too many musicians who who feel the need to destroy their set due to the lack of energy on the fans part. I guess in a way they feel that if the music couldn't get the job done, they want to give the fans something to talk about the next time they come around town..[i] I could never destroy a guitar, I'm too self conscious about stuff like that...Sometimes its fun to watch, but after a while, once you analyze it, its really dumb...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.