View post (I need advice)

View thread

kill em all
kill em all
11/29/2005 8:39 pm
You may well be an awesome guitarist, but that is no guarantee that you will succed as a rock star

I hope I ddn't come across as the kind of guy would only be satisfied with rock star statis. I also realize that the world is full on 19 year old virtuosos and most of them will never be recognized. I would be happy if I could play guitar whenever I wanted, and I could make myself better until I reach a level where I can express what I want to express with a guitar, even playing live, I only really ever played for myself. By the way, I am far from being an awesome guitarist ( one who inflicts awe upon those he plays near ) and my goal is self-expression which I don't have the technique and music understanding base to achieve yet.

only 4percent of all musicians in the world are able to make a living from it...and that includes: teachers,sessioners,theatre and stage sessioners,classically trained orchestra dudes, and famous people

This quote however disturbed me. Because my "fall back on plan" has always been to charge for guitar lessons ( If I didn't need the money I would still give lessons to improve myself as well as help some others ). Yesterday I decided to return to my previous academic level in which I am very much college-bound. I will get my bachelor's in music. I will use this to help me become part of a larger percentage of people who have educations and wish to make a living. 4 %!! Of course I would always wait and stick with it and that would bring me above most others, but 4%!!! I'd have to wait for more years than are in my life! Nontheless most of the 96% that are unsuccesful have not dedicated their lives to this.

Thank you guys for keeping me from ruining my musical career, and in turn, my life.