where should I live

MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
11/26/2005 2:05 am
I live in Iowa and I want to move to a big city where I have a chance at getting noticed because in my area, it will not happen. Please let me know a city that would be good to move to by myself. I was thinking Des moines but I dont think that would be a good place to get noticed. But whatever city, I wont have much money and I dont want to move to a shotwhole area of a city where my stuff can get robbed. What is my best move?
Mike ;)
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/26/2005 2:20 am
You'll never get shot in Cananda. Just move to their biggest city.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/26/2005 3:16 am
Originally Posted by: elklanderccYou'll never get shot in Cananda. Just move to their biggest city.

[font=trebuchet ms]That would be Toronto, Ontario...

Self-proclaimed centre of the universe where there have been 48 gang-related shooting deaths this year?[/font] :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
11/26/2005 3:50 am
yeah, But tell me, do you think if I stayed in Des Moines I still have a chance to get discovered because I do believe I am good, Do labels go to places like des moines or do they only look in cities like newyork, l.a, chicago and such? I want to move to a major city but it would probably scare the living hell out of me from moving there from a 1800 population city to somewhere like chicago. I dont want to be so busy trying to work and survive that I dont have time for my music. Please help me those who live in the big cities. But chicago would seem like a good place......maybe
Mike ;)
# 4
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
11/26/2005 4:59 am
Yeah, ive been thinking chicago lately, I know they have alot of places to play. I just hope I dont have to live in a **** hole where crime is everywhere. And I have alot of equipment and I dont want to get robbed. Hey there are 2 airports in chicago, there are like alot of independant record labels. What do you think?
Mike ;)
# 5
Fretfire
Fretfire
11/26/2005 5:25 am
Miami Florida is a good place to be.....Nice warm weather...great beaches....full of music bars and stores.....and most of all lots of very beautiful girls, especially in the beach. :D
Guitarplaying is 1 Percent Inspiration, 99 Percent Perspiration... :)
# 6
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/26/2005 5:30 am
I've heard that Chicago's the place to be for Blues and Jazz for sure, but I'm not too sure about other genres. I do know that it doesn't get much better than Austin's musician community. They have some really cool boutiquish guitar shops there too. I guess though the same problem could be present there that Pony says is in LA...oversaturation. One way to look at it is that if you really are good, then it might be that much easier to "blow up" where you are since there's comparitively not as much competition. In the end though I don't think it makes a huge difference where you are, just that you're determined enough.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 7
MadGuitarest
MadGuitarest
11/26/2005 6:27 am
yeah, but any places where you can have band practice, what do people do in big cities for making alot of noise for practice?
Mike ;)
# 8
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/26/2005 6:42 am
Almost any city and many suburbs will have jam spaces(space obviously will cost more or less relative to the ameneties just like a house).

If you buy a house thats mabey thirty yards from others or end up with a basement that is some what soundlocked,then you could just set up there.Owning a home has never been an option for me(not sure if it ever will)so I shelled out $230 a month for a nice heated jam room(no equipment included and heat was very needed in Massachusettes).That is the way to go if you can't play in your home.

I live near tampa bay,so there are alot of rock and metal bands skimming around.
Try once,fail twice...
# 9
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/26/2005 6:43 am
Most of the (gigging) bands I know personally around here in Houston rent some kind of jam room...rooms specifically for that purpose. While you might have bands playing all up and down the hallway from you, the rooms are generally soundproofed with foam, insulation, and whatnot. Nothing fancy for sure...just a square room with outlets. They keep the heavy gear there and have a key for the door. They average about $150-300 a month. It's either that, or cram yourself into one of the bandmates' houses.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 10
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
11/26/2005 7:06 am
I have never been comfortable leaving equipment over friends homes...mabey because in a fit of rage my friends brother put a guitar through the front of my 2x12(a loser to this day).After thinking about my options to be reimbersed it turned out I could do nothing since I left it there and he wasn't responsible/his property crap .I couldn't really pound him either since it was my friends brother(gee sorry dude,didn't mean to brutalize your family member)

Another good idea is to write you social security number some where discreetly on your gear(besides your guitars,i'd always take them home)like on the underside of a cabinet(use a sticky label).
Try once,fail twice...
# 11
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/26/2005 7:14 am
I'm moving to Denver, CO. Music scene is good with many of the Colorado stations playing local musicians. Plus, I like the Broncos. :D
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 12
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
11/26/2005 9:39 pm
Chicago is pretty sweet. I've stayed there for a few days with my uncle a few times. I love it there.He lives in a pretty safe area so not all of Chicago is bad. If you go there, CHECK OUT THE SHED AQUARIUM!
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 13
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/27/2005 3:11 am
dont go to richmond, virginia. thats all i have to say.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 14
Shredda_42
Shredda_42
11/28/2005 9:26 am
come to Australia!!!!!!!
[FONT=Impact]_,.-'`^`'-.,_"Shredda"_,.-'`^`'-.,_[/FONT]
# 15
binfordtools
binfordtools
11/28/2005 1:20 pm
Detroit has a pretty big music scene. Most people who are not from Michigan are scared of the Detroit area. In fact we have such a bad reputation that just the mention of it conjures up images of mugging, people getting shot, and riots. In reality downtown Detroit is a safe and fun place to hang out. True some of the surrounding areas are a bit rough, but we who have lived here know where not to go. You can live 25 minutes from the D and be in one of the richest county’s in the country (Oakland).
A lot of the suburbs and bigger cities like Ann Arbor have a HUGE music scene. Many well known performers have hailed from Michigan.
If you ever decide to check it out I can hook you up with a few musicians that are friends of mine who play around here.
"I'm a rocker dude through and through. I like Van Halen, not Van Hagar" - Joe Dirt
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.