Picking technique.... kind of

kill em all
kill em all
11/24/2005 12:18 am
I almost posted this in the gear discussion thread because I am almost positive it my equipments fault. Here is my deal; When I pick a note on my b string at 17 fret or above, my g string ( lol ) rings out without being touched by my pick hand or any left hand technique. There are other places on high frets this occurs as well. Perhaps I should check the action ( but I have it just where I like it ) or something?
I have an Ibanez Gio ( my learning guitar until christmas ) run through a wussy blues fender princeton 65 solid state, my cable is pretty good, gold tips and what-not, and I do not believe this is a feedback problem as it occurs whenever the amp is loud enough to hear at all, and I use controlled feedback all the time and recognize the sound.
Please help, I assure you my guitar does not move when I play, and neither hand irritates that ringing string.
# 1
kill em all
kill em all
11/24/2005 11:15 pm
oh my god, are you serious?! I have bad right hand technique even AFTER reading everything at guitarprinciples?! Why does it ring anyway, and besides, on low string picks how should I mute my higher strings?
# 2
Mal Mck
Mal Mck
11/25/2005 3:43 pm
The reason your strings are ringing are Harmonic sympathy. which is a big way of saying that one strings vibration is causing another to vibrate usually not the same note but one that is in harmony to to the first note. :( And the only I know of to stop it is to mute the harmony string. Guitar Principles practice methods are fantastic. But unless you are playing Classical, Jazz or some blues :) lol

Jazz, where everything is new. Tricked out and tipped over.
# 3
kill em all
kill em all
12/13/2005 11:26 pm
Thanks, I'm gonna get Guitar principles and I'm sure this can be fixed with the almighty principles. However, it is really not so hard ot just mute the string but it feels like extra tension is built up. I found that if I just turn my amp up to about seven you can't really even tell. Volume fixes everything. Along with Bass guitar.
# 4
g----rant
g----rant
12/15/2005 2:54 pm
it could be coz of vibrations from the note...

and yeh, guitarprinciples won't help a lot with the use of picks, and u do have to mute the strings not being used,

and hey, i have an ibanez gio 2! although i've modified it that much i dunno if u could call it that nemore, they r great and real easy to playn i reckon, good learning guitar ;)

rock on
check me out!!

www.myspace.com/granthiggins
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.