What's wrong with my amp? Please diagnose...

Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
11/21/2005 4:47 am
I was playing tonight on my Blues Jr. amp and all of the sudden my volume cuts to like half or worse. Its not the first time its happened, but it's never happened so soon into my playing session. it appears that when this happens, one of the power tubes glows really bright. This is my first tube amp and i havent had any problems with it yet. The tubes are less than a month old, too. Any help is appreciated.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/21/2005 5:40 am
This thread as a matter of fact! If you replaced the Power Tubes, you probably need to adjust the bias. Someone will be along shortly to explain this to you, if you don't know how. Sorry I can'texplain. I'm really just relaying information I read on another thread.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
sethfif
sethfif
11/21/2005 6:14 am
This happened to my Hughes and Kettner pretty soon after I bought it. It was the first all tube amp that I've owned. The tubes needed changing. Well, I changed the tubes, but the amp still wasn't working right and two of the power tubes were glowing extra hot. Apparentally, if you don't use tubes with the same exact power rating (and some cases, the brand) to replace the old ones, then you're gonna have to bias your amp to adjust to the new tubes.

To bias your tubes and your amp, it is my understanding that you first need the right equipment to do so. My suggestion is that you take it to a shop where they do amp repair. It's fairly cheap, and you avoid the risk of messing anything up by trying to do it yourself. The amp guy explained to me and said "If you don't bias your amp when you change tubes, then your amp won't be putting out enough power through the tubes, or it will be running too much power through them. Either way it isn't good for your amp to be played through, let alone running at all." Hopefully, that's all that needs done. Good luck.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.