View post (Blues vs. Shred?!?!)

View thread

Dante7978
Dante7978
08/21/2005 1:50 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14The definition of shredding is basically "playing fast"

I'm well aware of the definition of shred. Did you even read my point before quoting me. :rolleyes: Notice how I said it's isn't ALL about speed, meaning there is speed, but there are other points that make it interesting.Oh, and if you wanna go by definition

Shred in music - In the context of an electric guitar, "shredding" refers to a virtuosic, highly technical style of playing the instrument, as exemplified by the virtuosos of the eighties such asJason Becker, Marty Friedmann, Shawn Lane, Steve Vai or Yngwie J. Malmsteen

The style of shred guitar is strongly founded in technique and theory. Many shred gutiarists are extremely well versed in music theory and classical music. Much time is devoted to the development of technique through numerous exercises. A key practice tool is the metronome. Many virtuosic techniques displayed by "shredders" include sweep picking, tapping, legato, as well as a combination of the aforementioned techniques.

Although shred is not as prominent today as in the 80's- highly technical guitar playing can still be found in many genres. Progressive metal contains many guitar virtuosos. John Petrucci, guitarist for Dream Theater, exemplifies the "prog metal" guitarist . He attended Berklee School of Music before taking off with Dream Theater.

Other sources of technical gutiar playing can be found in many metal bands. Children of Bodom's Alexi Laiho is an example of another technical guitarist.

Taken from http://www.answers.com/topic/shred
HADOUUUU KEN!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: