Scale Charts?!

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/17/2005 7:56 pm
does anyone know where i can find some good scale charts that show which fingers you are supposed to use because the ones i have dont show it and they span 5 frets when we only have 5 fingers. how am i supposed to play all the notes in the scale? just use my pinky for both the 4th and the 5th note?! somone please help me if you have any information because even though i know how to read scale charts it still confuses me. any help would be greatly appreciated.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/17/2005 7:57 pm
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortiondoes anyone know where i can find some good scale charts that show which fingers you are supposed to use because the ones i have dont show it and they span 5 frets when we only have 5 fingers. how am i supposed to play all the notes in the scale? just use my pinky for both the 4th and the 5th note?! somone please help me if you have any information because even though i know how to read scale charts it still confuses me. any help would be greatly appreciated.

What scale is spanning five frets in any reachable manner?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 2
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/18/2005 12:01 am
Ok this one only spans 4 frets

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/images/sc_min_pent_g1_fingers.gif

And this one spans 5
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/images/sc_min_pent_g3_fingers.gif

Am i just supposed to move my whole down real quick to let my pink reach that last one?
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/18/2005 12:16 am
Originally Posted by: SoulDistortionOk this one only spans 4 frets

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/images/sc_min_pent_g1_fingers.gif

And this one spans 5
http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/minor-pentatonic/images/sc_min_pent_g3_fingers.gif

Am i just supposed to move my whole down real quick to let my pink reach that last one?

Dude, you're looking at it sideways, all those ones are on the eigth fret, not the same string.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 4
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/18/2005 4:31 am
No i know which way it goes but the distance bewteen two of the notes on the scale is 5 frets and i was just asking how i should move my hand.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 5
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/18/2005 4:54 am
It's only 4 frets...just use your pinky.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

# 6
equator
equator
11/18/2005 1:18 pm
Yeah, those are scale patterns for the minor pentatonic in the key of G, played in two different positions.
The first one is at fret three, and you shouldn`t have any problem.
The second one is at fret 8, and it riquiers you to go "out of position" when you play the G string, moving your fretting hand towards the nut. But still you are streaching four frets only, then you back into position to play the rest of the scale. Just look at the graphic again.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 7
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/18/2005 6:36 pm
Alright I just wasn't sure because scales are always so liner i didnt know you just stretch out of the scale to hit the extra notes. There are some more extreme then that but that was just an example. Anyways thanks for the help, gotta practice my scales, i've been soloing in E pentonic some easy stuff i know.
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 8
kill em all
kill em all
11/24/2005 11:41 pm
I suggest you learn how to recreate and transpose scales, beginning with the pentatonic of course. Then you can simply write them all out in tab form which is SO much better. Don't worry, it's not rocket science by any means: I know plenty of "goofy" guitarists who can do this stuff.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.