View post (Why Aren’t You a Better Guitarist? part 1)

View thread

Tom Hess
Tom Hess
11/14/2005 3:54 pm
I agree totally with you in theory, EXCEPT that for most people, they don't have the luxury of extra time to focus on so many areas at once and therefore, given time constraints and the lack of being able to take lessons from masters in every style, time is better spent on mastery (if that is his/her goal). The other issue here is most people have a really hard time with consistent and determined focus on their goals. Given that reality for so many (most) people, greater results come from staying focused on the goal. Of course there are things that can be learned from other styles, BUT there is more going on here than gaining skills. What happens in reality for most people is a"drifting effect" where many aimlessly wander from this thing to that thing and get of course very easily. After teaching tens of thousands of lessons over many many years, much more poften than not, the success I have had with my students has come in most abundence when goals were clearly defined (by the student) and strategies were implemented by me and my job as their "techer" was also to be their "coach" to keep them on their goals. Of course, if their goals evolve into other areas, then strategies must be modified or rebuilt enitirely, and thats perfectly fine. thanks for your reply, its great for others to also consider both sides of this issue. I think your post has added value here and given the opportunity for many others to consider it all.

respectfully,
Tom Hess
Tom Hess