Fender USA Strat Or Double Fat Strat?

hhcave
hhcave
11/11/2005 6:13 pm
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a USA strat (3 single coils) or a USA double fat strat (2 humbuckers)

I'm getting a new guitar as i need a backup guitar (yes - i am willing to spend a load of cash on a backup guitar) so i want something versatile - something i can pick up and play anything on. Thats why i thought of the strat.

The problem is - i've never owned a guitar with single coils so im not sure how they sound on stage. I love the beef on a humbucker but i think if i want versatility, i should go with singles. I've opted out of a fat strat (1 humbucker 2 single coils) simply because it don't look good :cool: !

So guys, please tell me if the single coils would suit modern rock/hard rock/metal(y)/popular rock(clean sounds) styles. Also, would anyone NOT recommend the double fat strat because i havent seen any of them being used? Are they not so good?

Lastly, is it possible, and if so, can you please name the brand, to get humbuckers which fit into single coil sockets (aka. humbuckers which look like single coils)? O yeah, also, are single coil EMGs any good?

Thanks
[FONT=System]Life's A Bitch, And Then You Die...So Take Drugs And Live! O Yeah, By The Way, I Just Got My Fix (Cocaine) So I'm Happy!!![/FONT]
# 1
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/11/2005 7:24 pm
Originally Posted by: hhcaveHey guys,

I'm trying to decide whether to go for a USA strat (3 single coils) or a USA double fat strat (2 humbuckers)

I'm getting a new guitar as i need a backup guitar (yes - i am willing to spend a load of cash on a backup guitar) so i want something versatile - something i can pick up and play anything on. Thats why i thought of the strat.

The problem is - i've never owned a guitar with single coils so im not sure how they sound on stage. I love the beef on a humbucker but i think if i want versatility, i should go with singles. I've opted out of a fat strat (1 humbucker 2 single coils) simply because it don't look good :cool: !

So guys, please tell me if the single coils would suit modern rock/hard rock/metal(y)/popular rock(clean sounds) styles. Also, would anyone NOT recommend the double fat strat because i havent seen any of them being used? Are they not so good?

Lastly, is it possible, and if so, can you please name the brand, to get humbuckers which fit into single coil sockets (aka. humbuckers which look like single coils)? O yeah, also, are single coil EMGs any good?

Thanks

there is one thing that makes a fat strat better, the bridge pick-up. I curruntly have a Fender Strat that's completely broken-down but it still works. Anyway, the bridge pick-up is awfull. It makes feedback al the time with high-gain settings. and I have a Les Paul, with humbuckers. I use it much 'cause it doesn't feedback and stays quiet with high-gain settings.

I did try a Fat Strat and it had the same effect, so
Just look for the right guitar for your play style and what you feel is comfortable
# 2
hhcave
hhcave
11/11/2005 7:49 pm
Yeah, thanks, i also have a Gibson Les Paul, its an ebony Les Paul Custom :D ! The strat will be my backup
[FONT=System]Life's A Bitch, And Then You Die...So Take Drugs And Live! O Yeah, By The Way, I Just Got My Fix (Cocaine) So I'm Happy!!![/FONT]
# 3
zoran the dark
zoran the dark
11/11/2005 8:05 pm
Originally Posted by: hhcaveYeah, thanks, i also have a Gibson Les Paul, its an ebony Les Paul Custom :D ! The strat will be my backup

I have a Epiphone Les Paul honeyburst :D

great man, good I could help
# 4
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
11/11/2005 8:56 pm
i like the single coil more...so that, but thats just me
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 5
rockonn91
rockonn91
11/11/2005 10:53 pm
its kinda a taste thing.... my taste is pointing to the fat strat mainly because of the humbuckers. wont buzz.

but if you want a lighter sound, go for the strat... but you usually wont play anything hard rockish unless it has a humbucker in the bridge.... so i'd stick with the fat strat.
the reason you dont see them so much is that a majority of players cant find them or dont want to change from the common strat SSS setup. not because they are inferior in any way.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 6
hhcave
hhcave
11/12/2005 12:39 pm
kk cool, thanks guys
# 7
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/14/2005 12:00 am
I would go to a shop and try them both out. see which one sounds better to your ears. also try out alot of different guitars, not just 2 or 3. try out some that you weren't even considering, you may be pleasently surprised. it's happened to me more then once before...

but definately go to a shop, I wouldn't ever fork out that much money only to be disappointed. make sure you know what you're getting.
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/14/2005 1:10 pm
Humbuckers can be versatile too. I find they are versatile enough as they are, but you can always opt for coil tapping or series/parallel switching; the latter being the better choice. This way you can get single/humbucker sounds out of a humbucker.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.