Simulating a MOTORCYCLE speeding away.

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/10/2005 8:00 am
Recently ive been attempting to replicate the sound of a speeding vehicle going by and changing gears with my guitar. I've seen some of my other band mates do it and our lead guitarist does it perfectly. If you close your eyes it really feels like a turbo charged vehicle is driving right inside the room.

To get this effect I dropped D tuned my guitar and hit a power chord WITH the whammy bar DOWN and slowly pulled it up and let the distortion rip through.

Once the whammy bar was all the way up and reached its top sound; I simulated a gear shift by simultaniously, pressing the whammy bar down again, and sliding up 4 frets and then sliding down 6 frets really fast, so that i was 2 behind the one i started at.

I then play the power chord 2 frets below the first with the whammy bar all the way down again pulling it up and repeating the process until i reach the end of the fretboard.

While this sounds slightly confusing I got a roaring sound that sounded awesome. Trying to get effects like this is somthing i do on a daily basis. Anyone know of how to acheive this effect even better. Thoughts comments etc. I'll post a sound file soon.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
11/10/2005 6:36 pm
that's cool, I might try that if I ever get a tremolo arm for my ibanez :rolleyes:

I learned alot of cool little stunts from www.guitarshredshow.com - that site is awesome
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 2
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/10/2005 10:01 pm
A real good sounding way to accomplish this is to use a slide. Start at the second or third fret and slide up the neck on the g and d (third and fourth) strings, occasionally stopping and hitting the strings again with the pick to simulate a gear change.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 3
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/11/2005 9:14 pm
I've tried that way and compared it with mine and mine sounds a little more realistic because the pitch actually goes down when somting speeds PAST you, which is what i was trying to replicate. Still not a bad way though, im gonna get that recording up soon.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 4
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
11/11/2005 11:35 pm
I get you. My ways kinda cheating.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 5
SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
11/12/2005 3:34 am
another way to cheat is to use my way but do it on one string and instead of using the whammy bar just bend the string down. LoL :)
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---iiholly
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
---Akira
# 6
Troutmasta6790
Troutmasta6790
10/21/2007 1:35 am
The best motorcycle/whmmy effect i've ever heard is in the intro to Meatloaf's I'd Do Anything For Love....only thing is that i cannot figure out how to simulate the effect used in that song...anyone know how to get that effect?
# 7
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/21/2007 3:52 am
IF your band mates do it well, how come you don't get one of them to show you. The whole point of jamming is learning things off each other.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 8
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
11/09/2007 9:25 pm
Probably because he wants to show off, and say that he doesn't need their help..... Maybe because HE wants to be the lead guitarist....
# 9
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
12/05/2007 2:27 pm
haha haha
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.