Really odd tuning.

suicidalmoose
Full Access
suicidalmoose
Full Access
11/09/2005 9:16 am
Do you think that it would be possible to tune a guitar like this ...

EeBAGD ?? - (alternating tuning)

Of course this would require the strings to be put in the corresponding order as an e minor on the 5th string of a normal set of strings might not do the guitar too much good :). But do you think that this would lend it self to some pretty crazy songs.

Does it at all make sense?
# 1
equator
equator
11/09/2005 2:20 pm
Originally Posted by: suicidalmooseDo you think that it would be possible to tune a guitar like this ...

EeBAGD ?? - (alternating tuning)

Of course this would require the strings to be put in the corresponding order as an e minor on the 5th string of a normal set of strings might not do the guitar too much good :). But do you think that this would lend it self to some pretty crazy songs.

Does it at all make sense?

Why would you want to have two consecutive strings with the same note(E)?
And those notes do not correspond to the "E minor chord"(E,G,B). That is closer to the "Em7" chord(E,G,B,D). So, the "A note" you suggested is out of place.
So, I don`t see that as an alternative tuning. It`ll be difficult to play scales let alone chords.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/09/2005 5:17 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorWhy would you want to have two consecutive strings with the same note(E)?
And those notes do not correspond to the "E minor chord"(E,G,B). That is closer to the "Em7" chord(E,G,B,D). So, the "A note" you suggested is out of place.
So, I don`t see that as an alternative tuning. It`ll be difficult to play scales let alone chords.

Yeah, my sentiments exactly...I guess it's an Em7 with a suspended 4... Could always tune that A to an F and make it a 9th chord for the hell of it... Heh, then remove the B and tune that to an A, or leave the A and tune the B to F and you'd have an 11th chord without the fifth. This is fun! You should totally tune it to an 11th chord, then just bar everything.

Actually, in all honesty, I wouldn't tune both bottom strings to the same note. Like equator said, it will make chords and scales quite the difficult thing, and unless you change the tuning to an open chord (preferably without that E on the 5th string...make THAT the F or perhaps leave it an A) it's going to be more of an inconvenience than a wellspring for creativity.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
equator
equator
11/09/2005 6:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonYeah, my sentiments exactly...I guess it's an Em7 with a suspended 4... Could always tune that A to an F and make it a 9th chord for the hell of it... Heh, then remove the B and tune that to an A, or leave the A and tune the B to F and you'd have an 11th chord without the fifth. This is fun! You should totally tune it to an 11th chord, then just bar everything.

Actually, in all honesty, I wouldn't tune both bottom strings to the same note. Like equator said, it will make chords and scales quite the difficult thing, and unless you change the tuning to an open chord (preferably without that E on the 5th string...make THAT the F or perhaps leave it an A) it's going to be more of an inconvenience than a wellspring for creativity.

I think you ment "F#"
In order to tune your guitar to an open "Em9" you would need...(E,G.B,D,F#).
And adding an "A" to that, you get an "Em11"(E,G,B,D,F#,A)
Hmmmmmm
Six notes and six strings.
Yeah, you could bar on any fret and get an "m11 chord"
That my friends, is in theory. In practicality would be a real chalenge to play scales, and other chords than "m11".
But hey, if anyone wanna do it, let us know how that works.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
11/09/2005 6:26 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorI think you ment "F#"
In order to tune your guitar to an open "Em9" you would need...(E,G.B,D,F#).
And adding an "A" to that, you get an "Em11"(E,G,B,D,F#,A)
Hmmmmmm
Six notes and six strings.
Yeah, you could bar on any fret and get an "m11 chord"
That my friends, is in theory. In practicality would be a real chalenge to play scales, and other chords than "m11".
But hey, if anyone wanna do it, let us know how that works.

Yeah, sorry, I meant F#.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.