View post (Not sure if teacher is really helping...)

View thread

quickfingers
quickfingers
11/09/2005 9:21 pm
i think that lessons should be reserved for people who have already learned the instrument sufficiently, and want something extra from their playing. after all, most guitar teachers (i would assume) are advanced level players, and it seems like a waste for these guys to be teaching how to play a D chord or teach you "communication breakdown" or something. ive never had a formal lesson in the almost 3 years of playing, and i can honestly say i didnt do anything that magical, i just am really into guitar and i dont have a problem sitting and writing a song all day, or sitting and looking through a book of riffs for a few hours, or just jamming with the sterio. given, im not a virtuoso, but im pretty good for how long ive bene playing, and i know that theres alot of others like me that could tell you the same thing: you dont need lessons to learn this stuff. sure, the extra boost of having the teacher there to visually show you and correct your mistakes is a nice safety net, but its not needed if you just put in 5% more dedication. get a book, any book, and absorb it. if you find something you like, continue with it. once you find out what you really love about guitar, THEN go to a teacher and say "i want to be a master at this." and im sure you will get your money's worth. and if he cant teach you anything you couldnt learn on your own, dont waste your money.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE