I could use some good amp help right about now

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/28/2005 1:50 am
Ok, so the on switch to my amp literally fell off. I'm running a Marshall MG30FX and I went to turn it on, heard a strange click, noticed the little red light wasn't glowing, pushed the switch again and it fell right out. Two little silver pieces of metal in the shape of an acute angle also came out as well. I'm guessing a problem like this isn't too much to worry about, but seriously. What the hell do I do?
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
10/28/2005 5:30 am
That's rough dude.

I've never taken apart an amp, per say. But I've taken stuff apart with switches. I say if you can get to the back of the switch easy. By easy I mean if there is a metal cover over your electronics, you unscrew it and you can easily see where the switch needs to go. you should be able to put it back in ok. If wires are loose just solder them back in place. If either of these things is impossible. Just take it somewhere to get fixed. Nice little Marshall will be worth the money.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it fasterā€ - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
10/28/2005 8:21 am
I f you have to replace the switch, disconnecting the old switch wires one at a time, will avoid any confusion - but the amplifier sounds like a really nice piece of Kit and having it professionally repaired would be my first choice.
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/28/2005 12:39 pm
Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can't macgyver it first before dishing out money on repairs. I could use a hands on experience with things like this anyway so I'd kind of like to see if I can do it.

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/28/2005 3:57 pm
Use common sense and take it apart yourself. If you run into stuff you can't handle, take it in for repairs.
# 5
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
Infectious
Mr. Hardcore Oldschool
10/28/2005 8:29 pm
A word of advice before opening up that amp...Make sure its unplugged first! :D

I speak from experience trust me. I was muckin around with my broken Marshall one night around 3 am...it wouldnt work when i plugged it in so I opened it up and accidently touched something and it gave me the shock of a lifetime. I could not go to sleep after that. Seriously dude! Marshalls are killer. :(

Havent touched that amp since!
# 6
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/29/2005 10:20 pm
Ok, I've got my amp open as I type this. The problem isn't anything big. The switch is just broken. My question is does anyone know of a site like that of stewmac.com where people sell replacement pieces for amps?

Edit: On a side note, there are 4 connections on the back side of the on switch. 2 are black wires and 2 are white wires. I don't want to get too ruthless, but I'm having trouble getting them off. Suggestions?

Hulk Smash!!

# 7
markc2005
markc2005
10/30/2005 2:15 pm
if its still under warrenty take it back to where u bought it from n they should replace it or have it repaired, i recently bought a marshall mg series amp n included was a 3 year warrenty from marshall so that might be worth checking out, if u open ur amp the warrenty will be voided
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 8
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
10/31/2005 2:12 am
Originally Posted by: markc2005if its still under warrenty take it back to where u bought it from n they should replace it or have it repaired, i recently bought a marshall mg series amp n included was a 3 year warrenty from marshall so that might be worth checking out, if u open ur amp the warrenty will be voided

I've had the amp for quite some time now and the warranty is long since passed so I'd be in the same situation regardless.

Hulk Smash!!

# 9
Bluesman Jack
Bluesman Jack
10/31/2005 10:04 pm
Four wires generally means its a dpdt (dual pole dual through) switch. It sounds like the contacts fell out. I'm an electronics guy and have seen this may times. Since your probably switching line voltage (120vac). Check the back of your amp and note the voltage and amperage specs. check out ampwares.com, torresengineering.com, or eurotubes.com. Any switch with the same specs that fits will do. Or take the switch to your neighborhood radioshack or local guitar dealer. You may be able to find one here. Use a pair of needlenose pliers and gently tug on the lugs after making sure they aren't soldered on.

Hopes this helps
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.