$3000 to spend

bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/29/2005 1:35 am
I use Fruity Loops 5 for all my vst pluggins and Magix for recording. I'm not sure how Pro Tools or the others work but that's what works for me and it didn't set me back a house payment. ;)
I should mention I got Fruity Loops 5 producer edition free. Magix only cost 80 bucks and does a nice job for me at the moment. I'm not looking to upgrade for a while.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 1
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
10/29/2005 3:16 am
Alright,after reading through the CubaseSX3 pdf manual,it seems it comes with a vst drum plug-in.

Heres the new list(minus the computer)

*Peavey Grind Bass 4 BXP NTB Natural

*PreSonus FIREBOX 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Recording System

*Steinberg Cubase SX3 Recording Software

*Edirol PCR-M30 32-Key MIDI Controller

that runs just under $1450 leaving more than enough for a powerful computer.Ive got pretty good headphones,so monitors really arn't a must.
Try once,fail twice...
# 2
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
10/29/2005 3:39 am
Chuck, must insist on monitors man. Headphones just don't cut the mustard when it comes to mixing. They're cool for late night jammin! Everything on your list looks good though. You can add vst pluggins as you go, there are a couple of places where you can get some cool free ones like UGO's string theory and Christian Knufinkes SIR impulse-response processor. You can use any arbitrary WAV file as an impulse. Stop by http://www.noisevault.com for free impulses for SIR. Check out http://www.patcharena.com as well. This is another cool site, especially if you have a surround setup. http://acousmodules.free.fr/acousmodules_en.htm
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
10/30/2005 12:06 pm
I agree, headphones are good for late night recording etc but monitors are a must for mixing. I updated my home studio recently and got a set of Tannoy Reveals, everything I recorded before sounds horrible through these babies. So it's back to the drawing board with everyone single of my tracks (all the better seeing as I can play a lot better now!). It makes such a difference, and when you get the mix sounding good on a good set of studio monitors it will blow you away through a regular stereo.
# 4
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/30/2005 1:01 pm
So, project studio land. Cooooool !

What did I learn...well...You can read about it here

Like the good Mr Schmange I have built a nice home studio over the last 3-4 years. I cost a lot of time, about $35K and I am incredibly happy with it. Could I have done it cheeper ? Yes. Would I like it so much ? No ! As the link above says, it is something that has evolved from a Tascam 4 track tape machine, to a Korg D1600 to a D1200 with a PC to a G5 MAC based system. The drums are fully MIDI integrated and the three types of POD mean my imagination is the limit with regards to guitar sounds. And when I want to blow the roof off, well their is always the TSL !!

I recently spent 3K on a mic and a preamp. The Avalon Vt737sp is fantastic and the AKG 414 is just incredible. Both are really east to get nice sounds out of. This is in sharp contrast to where I started (an SM57 into the Tascam). My point is , you can do it with the SM57 it is just much harder.

Headphones are really hard to mix on as are computer speakers. Some people do and get fantastic results. However, most cant !

When you are learning to fly, remember to take off from the ground, don't climb a tree and jump.

Yep there is a learning curve however you can be nice to your self by starting with kit that is easy to use. Computers are hard, "studio in a box" like the korg or the rolland are not so hard. I have done both and know what I'm talking about ! The hardest was an HP PC. Computers are much more powerfull tools, much more versatile and unless you have a very extensave knolage of both the physics behind music and computers, can be very frustrating.

You can make great recordings on budget kit. but it is harder than getting great recordings on more expensive kit that has been designed with the beginner in mind. Personally, I don't want to mess around configuring stuff for a day and a half. I just want to record it. Invariably I have forgotten the killer riff / solo / whatever by then anyway.

If you don't know what it does you probably don't need it.

Experimenting is great but it is generally easier if you know what the buttons and knobs do. It takes the randomness out of it and makes it easier to reproduce. It also means that if you have an effect in mind it will be easier to actuate.

Everyone likes to work in different ays and what suits one person my cut another throat so be prepared to ignore all advice and do what you think a) makes sense to you b) works and c) sounds good to you

Oh yes and remember to have fun.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 5
klipton386
klipton386
11/14/2005 9:09 pm
I have been using my laptop, an Alesis MultiMix (usb), and Cubase with incredible results. The multimix come in 4,8,12, and 16 channels, and they are fantastic. My main home studio is a Mackie 1604VLZ Pro and MOTU, which cost over $3000, the MultiMix costs between $160-$400 and I couldn't believe how well it works, it comes bundled with Cubase !! I paid $700 for SF Vegas software for the other system :-(

check out an mp3 recorded with the Alesis
http://www.myspace.com/norepent666

Kerri Lipton
www.jamconnect.com - Free Musicians Classifieds
# 6
Re2point0
Re2point0
11/16/2005 1:32 pm
Yeah I'm looking to get my hands on cubase sx3 right now I'm still running a sonar 3. I dont even think there is a sonar 5 out yet, I remember the 4 coming out recently.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.