View thread

Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/30/2005 1:01 pm
So, project studio land. Cooooool !

What did I learn...well...You can read about it here

Like the good Mr Schmange I have built a nice home studio over the last 3-4 years. I cost a lot of time, about $35K and I am incredibly happy with it. Could I have done it cheeper ? Yes. Would I like it so much ? No ! As the link above says, it is something that has evolved from a Tascam 4 track tape machine, to a Korg D1600 to a D1200 with a PC to a G5 MAC based system. The drums are fully MIDI integrated and the three types of POD mean my imagination is the limit with regards to guitar sounds. And when I want to blow the roof off, well their is always the TSL !!

I recently spent 3K on a mic and a preamp. The Avalon Vt737sp is fantastic and the AKG 414 is just incredible. Both are really east to get nice sounds out of. This is in sharp contrast to where I started (an SM57 into the Tascam). My point is , you can do it with the SM57 it is just much harder.

Headphones are really hard to mix on as are computer speakers. Some people do and get fantastic results. However, most cant !

When you are learning to fly, remember to take off from the ground, don't climb a tree and jump.

Yep there is a learning curve however you can be nice to your self by starting with kit that is easy to use. Computers are hard, "studio in a box" like the korg or the rolland are not so hard. I have done both and know what I'm talking about ! The hardest was an HP PC. Computers are much more powerfull tools, much more versatile and unless you have a very extensave knolage of both the physics behind music and computers, can be very frustrating.

You can make great recordings on budget kit. but it is harder than getting great recordings on more expensive kit that has been designed with the beginner in mind. Personally, I don't want to mess around configuring stuff for a day and a half. I just want to record it. Invariably I have forgotten the killer riff / solo / whatever by then anyway.

If you don't know what it does you probably don't need it.

Experimenting is great but it is generally easier if you know what the buttons and knobs do. It takes the randomness out of it and makes it easier to reproduce. It also means that if you have an effect in mind it will be easier to actuate.

Everyone likes to work in different ays and what suits one person my cut another throat so be prepared to ignore all advice and do what you think a) makes sense to you b) works and c) sounds good to you

Oh yes and remember to have fun.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS