View post (Gibson Les Paul Classic)

View thread

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
10/24/2005 3:05 pm
I've owned this guitar for 5 or 6 months now and it has become my "#1" for recording and live shows. I feel I know the guitar enough to write a good review on it.

This is a 2005 Gibson Les Paul Classic modelled after a 1960. It is vintage sunburst ( looks exactly like Slash's guitar in the "november rain" video ). I bought it new for $2100 (canadian). The guitar came with a "Gibson USA" hardshell case, certificate of authenticity, and some Gibson stuff, such as stickers and picks.

PROS
-Sustain monster. Will sustain forever without any overdrive or pedals or any of that stuff.
-Heavy. I like heavy guitars so this is a pro for me.
-Slim neck. More of a Fender style neck. It is not as chunky as some other Gibsons. It is very smooth and fast.

CONS
-Bridge pickup not hot enough for my liking. It does not overdrive the tubes like my Hot Rails in my Tele.
-Bad tuning. Does not hold tuning well if played hard(which I do). I will be upgrading the tuners by the end of the year.
-Neck Volume Pot Dirty-After about a month the volume pot starting crackling alot. I think this is still under warranty but I've been playing so many shows lately I haven't had time to fix it.

I play through a 4X10 all tube amp and this guitar sounds very full for the amp. It is a perfect combo in my books. Playing "The Rain Song" with the neck pickup gives me chills and jamming to almost anything classic rock on the bridge pickup just makes me want play longer.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website