View post (System Of A Down)

View thread

Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
10/21/2005 6:21 pm
Originally Posted by: PonyOnebut that doesn't detract from their musical abilities

What might these be exactly?

The ability to scream atonally for no apparent reason?
The ability to write generic, unpoetic lyrics?
The ability to play guitar sloppily?
The ability to have a lead vocalist who CAN sing but doesn't seem to want to?

All they had before I realized they didn't have it, was an ability to be tongue-in-cheek. To make fun of other musical genres. I thought that was their goal. When it turned out it wasn't, they held no more water. They're not clever, they're not musical, they have nothing. Even that alien song, which managed to have a melody, was repetitive, boring, and went on for way too long. When SOAD manages to write a piece of music. Not even a decent piece of music, just music in general. I'll be right behind them, supporting them for doing so. As of yet all I've heard is atonal screaming and bad lyrics.

Yes, they've been political since the beginning, but for some reason they think that entitles them to being the ONLY political band around (if you've ever heard what the lead singer has to say about other bands being political). SOAD is not the first, nor will they be the last. Now, I have nothing against political music, but the day SOAD writes lyrics like Dylan, Waits, Young, or anyone who has ever been clever at any point is the day I'll be a fan.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...