olive for body?

redspecial
redspecial
10/16/2005 6:09 pm
what about olivewood in electric guitar body...
any ideas about its sound, acoustics and whatever?
[FONT=Verdana]rest in heavenly peace lil' fox...[/FONT]
# 1
redspecial
redspecial
10/18/2005 8:32 am
bump!
anybody wanna say smthin about olivewood? :confused:
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
10/18/2005 4:12 pm
I'm not personally familiar with Olive as a tone wood... and that's probably a bad thing. People have been making guitars for quite some time and if it were a good tone wood... I, or someone else... would probably know by now. This shouldn't discourage you from continuing though. If this is your first guitar from scratch... its not a bad idea to work on a lesser quality wood... Its better to mess that block up than to mess up a choice cut of Mahogany or Alder. You can always finish the guitar then go back and make another body with a different wood at a later date. It should be a nice souinding guitar either way... Woods are less important to the tone of electrics than acoustics... dont get me wrong... it makes a difference. But I have a Strat copy made out of laminated wood and everytime I play it I'm impressed with how well it sounds. So I would say go ahead with the Olive just for a trial run and maybe you'll be impressed as well! good luck!
# 3
redspecial
redspecial
10/18/2005 7:39 pm
thanx! :D
thats what i need to hear...

so its all about luck...
# 4
aschleman
aschleman
10/18/2005 7:52 pm
Haha. No prob. Its not totally luck... It will probably sound good, but it may not be the sound that you particular want... since you're probably use to playing on guitars that use common tone woods like Mahogany, Alder, Poplar, Ash, Basswood, etc... But good luck man!! Hope it turns out good for you.
# 5
redspecial
redspecial
10/18/2005 8:10 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanIts not totally luck...

a ha, its ok man, i get what u wanna say...
its always better to work with tone wood, but olive depends on my luck... :D
# 6
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
10/18/2005 8:52 pm
I'm willing to bet that Mediterranean olive wood would work very well in guitar construction. It's a hard and dense wood and, as I'm sure you've already noticed, it can have a very beautiful and unique wood grain.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 7
3fingeredblues
3fingeredblues
10/20/2005 1:48 am
From what I understand, olive is very hard and dense as stated before, and that would lead me to conclude from experience with other hard woods that it would probably have a crisp, clear, and snappy high end.

Don't underestimate the effect the wood you use has on the tone of the instrument. If you put the same pickups in the same style guitar that are made from different woods, you WILL notice the difference. Example, if you put the same p/u's from an alder bodied strat into an ash bodied strat, you will notice the difference. Fingerboard material also plays a significant role in the tone, as well as your choice for neck wood.
I am curious as to what you will find out from using the olive. It is some good lookin' stuff.

Good luck
# 8
redspecial
redspecial
10/20/2005 5:44 am
Originally Posted by: 3fingeredbluesFrom what I understand, olive is very hard and dense as stated before, and that would lead me to conclude from experience with other hard woods that it would probably have a crisp, clear, and snappy high end.

Don't underestimate the effect the wood you use has on the tone of the instrument. If you put the same pickups in the same style guitar that are made from different woods, you WILL notice the difference. Example, if you put the same p/u's from an alder bodied strat into an ash bodied strat, you will notice the difference. Fingerboard material also plays a significant role in the tone, as well as your choice for neck wood.
I am curious as to what you will find out from using the olive. It is some good lookin' stuff.

Good luck

yep, i know the importance of wood. thats why i start the thread... :)
"crisp n clear" sounds nice to me...
why olive? actaully i dont care the looking, i dont want fancy lookin paint, or refisnish. just barewood n lil, thin laquer. im livin in turkey n theres no way to find any cheap n qualified tonewood. they sell all the material as furniture stuffs n decoration mumbo jumbo. my dad's friend said, he can find a big block of olive that i need... thats it... :o
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.