View post (any recommendation for blues pickups?)

View thread

aschleman
aschleman
10/18/2005 4:06 pm
I know people swear by DiMarzio pickups... however for a true blues guitar... it has to have the character of a blues guitar, you know??? I would go with something in the range of medium output... where as most DiMarzios are going to be upper-medium to high output... which will give it a little more bite than a traditional blues pickup should have. Like you said, you want it to sound good when its overdriven but im sure you want a nice clean tone with clear tones accross the EQ. If you want a mixture between an SG (not really a blues guitar) and a Strat I would say go for a Single-Single-Humbucker configuration... This will allow you to mix your tones very well... and give it a good versatility. Now for the pickups of choice... I personally use a set of Fender Custom Shop '69 pickups in my Blues Strat. It gives great clarity in all switch positions from smooth lows to Clear bell-like highs. Same pickups used by Jimi Hendrix and stock on all 1969 Fender Strats... and NOS Custom Shop '69 strats... They're actually wound by the same lady that wound Jimi Hendrix's pickups and signed and dated by her... These are nice medium output pickups... the high output version is essentially the Custom Shop Texas Special pickups... they give a more natural bite to all frequencies and are more hard edged... These are the pickups that attribute to the Stevie Ray Vaughan tone. For the humbucker I would reccomend mixing in a Gibson humbucker to get that true blues humbucker tone... or maybe a P-90 that would be an interesting combo... But as far as the type of Humbucker I would look at different Gibsons and maybe play some of them to see what tone you like... Same goes for the single coils....

Also, Its not more difficult to wire Humbuckers... in fact... you can get them in the same two-wire configurations as single coils. Most pickup companies can make them in 2 and 4 wire versions for different applications... The 4 wire version are if you want to be able to split the coils...Its not any harder to wire one than single coils though... because essentially they're just two single coils... I will check out your thread about tone woods and respond to that question there... good luck