Tape to Computer

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
10/16/2005 1:17 am
Im very sorry if this has been asked many times. I have a yamaha mt100ll
4 track and want to recod to my computer. I have audacity. Can I just run a line from the 4track to the line in on the computer and use lame to convert it to mp3? Help is appreciated.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 6:17 pm
Do you mean directly recording through your four track to your PC, or do you mean transfer a previously recorded session to your PC?

If it's the latter, I've never tried it myself, but in theory....

If you connected your tape player into the microphone input of your soundcard, then start your recording programme (e.g. Cubase VST, SoundForge, etc.) you should be able to record the track as if you were playing directly into your PC. You'd probably experience some loss of quality, but that's ultimately down to the initial quality of the recording.

If it's the first, I really couldn't advise...I suspect that as it's in "record mode", you might be by-passing the output channel and therefore you might not be able send the signal to your PC. As I say though, I'm no expert, so hopefully someone else could clarify that. (I'd be interested to know if it's possible myself actually as it's an interesting idea!)

Anyone care to shed some light?
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 2
Toastless
Determined!
Toastless
Determined!
10/16/2005 7:59 pm
The line in port should be better than the microphone port, the microphone port will give you a very quiet version. Ideally you need a preamp for this sort of recording or a top quality sound card, just been looking at this stuff myself :)

http://www.etcetera.co.uk/Support/howto/howtoConnectGuitar.shtml

This describes it a bit better, your solution should work, although if you have just bought a stock computer and not built it yourself, odds are it'll have a pretty bad soundcard and lose a lot of quality.
# 3
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 8:11 pm
Originally Posted by: ToastlessThe line in port should be better than the microphone port...although if you have just bought a stock computer and not built it yourself, odds are it'll have a pretty bad soundcard and lose a lot of quality.

Both very good points...even if you have build your own PC, it's still worth going through the Line-in port...(thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake...it's my story and I'm sticking to it! :p)

Has anyone tried recording to their PC whilst recording to their 4 track though? It is possible? I can see the benefits, so I'm just curious if it's possible...I'm a bit tired and fed up with the quality of recording through my PC mic, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!...
# 4
Toastless
Determined!
Toastless
Determined!
10/16/2005 8:23 pm
Originally Posted by: Willdridgeeven if you have build your own PC, it's still worth going through the Line-in port[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Willdridge]I'm a bit tired and fed up with the quality of recording through my PC mic

hehe, I'll refrain myself :rolleyes:
# 5
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/16/2005 8:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Toastlesshehe, I'll refrain myself :rolleyes:

lmfao....yes, yes, I know....

To clarify though - I'm working from my acoustic at the moment because of a broken amp - but it's a good point, very well made...
# 6
Toastless
Determined!
Toastless
Determined!
10/16/2005 9:39 pm
Hehe ahh ok, guess electro acoustic would be the best way to go from there? What are the acoustic distorition pedals like for electric guitars? vaguely realistic?
# 7
tyrkbyer
tyrkbyer
10/16/2005 10:17 pm
I do it all the time.Go through the line in.Use audacity.Works great.
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
10/17/2005 11:13 pm
Thanks. Now I hope my 4 track arrives soon.
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 9
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/18/2005 9:34 pm
Originally Posted by: ToastlessHehe ahh ok, guess electro acoustic would be the best way to go from there? What are the acoustic distorition pedals like for electric guitars? vaguely realistic?

A friend of mine had/has a Zoom...(can't remember the actual model name, but A-summit springs to mind A6?...is that even a model?!...I'll ask him this week when I see him).
I wouldn't recommend the distortion, (I find there's something innately wrong with distorting an acoustic, but perhaps I'm a bit of a snob?!), but the effects work really well - his "cheap", (I say cheap, he loves it) elctro-acoustic has produced some wonderful sounds through it - I've been in the audience when he's used it and I couldn't believe it was the same guitar!

The only exception I have to my snobbery is 'Nirvana - Unplugged In New York" - "Man Who Sold The World" is very tastefully done...

Beyond that, Wheatus springs to mind..........(I'm not sure how to follow that statement) :rolleyes:

For the record, I don't like being a snob - I'd appreciate someone setting me straight on distorted acoustics...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.