Just starting, in need of advice

ATLbluespad
ATLbluespad
10/08/2005 9:43 pm
I'm just getting back from Iraq and have some time on my hands (injured, in recovery). I've been wanting to learn the guitar (electric) Wanting to purchase an inexpensive but good model. I'm looking at a Squire Strat QMT deluxe. Any suggestions? Pros or Cons.

I love the blues and rock.

Thanks in advance.
# 1
ake
ake
10/09/2005 6:00 am
Welcome back to the world!

That Squire would be fine. Squires used to be junk but now they are as good as the low end Fenders. I love my squire Tele.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power;we will know peace" J. Hendrix
# 2
Willdridge
Willdridge
10/09/2005 9:31 pm
Let me tell you a brief story:

When I was young, eager to learn guitar, I always, always wanted a Squire...when I got my first guitar, (chosen by my elder brother, a guitarist of some seven to eight years at this point) it was a Yahama Pacifica.
At first, I was a bit gutted..."A Yahama?! You can get these in Argos!!!!" I thought....but, as I've gotten a bit older (and I hope wiser) I've found I would never part with it...
The Yahama Pacifica, (although not a master of any) is a jack of all trades. It is also a wonderful instrument to learn on. It's solid, it lends itself to all kinds of styles, (I've been in Metal, Punk, Pop and even Country bands with this guitar and it's never once failed me. My amp's blown up, my FX-pedal's power supply's failed and my cables been knackered; but never once has it been down to the guitar)...I'm biased given that I learnt on this guitar, but it's allowed me to explore various styles without ever seeming out of place.

As for prices, pro's and con's, I couldn't honestly give you an opinion; but I would seriously recommend you at least look into the Pacifica; it's not the greatest guitar in the world by any means, but it is VERY versitile.

I'd appreciate anyone else's perspective on this, curious to see what you guys make of the Pacifica?

Hope that's of some use to you,

Regards,
Chris.
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
10/09/2005 9:39 pm
They are very good guitars for rock and blues. The only con is the buzzing single coils, but that can be fixed with a flick of the selctor switch....But curious, how were you injured? Glad to hear your back home, even though its from injury.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
rockonn91
rockonn91
10/10/2005 7:56 pm
i dont like strats so muchhhh just cuz of the buzz problem. but my friend has a squire strat and it IS easy to play. im just not so much a fan of its sound. actually i dont know what it REALLY sounds like cuz he makes it sound WAY TOO TREBLE. so it might sound wonderfull if he'd add in some bass and mids and lose some gain.

um so i just talked into a circle.
i guess what i'd say is you get a higher-quality guitar for just a bit more.

AND WELCOME BACK. definatly awesome of you to do all that.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 5
kill em all
kill em all
10/14/2005 9:28 pm
Great of you to be for your country!

My first guitar was a squire strat and it is easy to play but I could only learn for about 2 months before it broke down. Not electronically, it comes stock with that lol, but by the time I had tuned the last string, the first string was out of tune again. I swear it. I guess I could've easily fixed this problem but I was a beginner (2 months) and didn't know how. I sold it for 30 bucks and got an ibanez Gio, great beginner guitar. Still use it for practice ( playing about a year now) and what not. stays in tune.
# 6
ATLbluespad
ATLbluespad
11/17/2005 8:14 am
It's been a while and a lot has happened, but I got my Squire Strat. It's a QMT standard strat and it is beautiful. I'm ready to start. Thanks to all for the info prior to my decision. By the way, a set back from my injury, needed a second surgery(4 Nov). My back is slowly recovering, but I think this time it worked.
# 7
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
11/18/2005 7:34 am
Originally Posted by: ATLbluespadIt's been a while and a lot has happened, but I got my Squire Strat. It's a QMT standard strat and it is beautiful. I'm ready to start. Thanks to all for the info prior to my decision. By the way, a set back from my injury, needed a second surgery(4 Nov). My back is slowly recovering, but I think this time it worked.

Congrats on both being back in the states and your purchase of a new guitar. What kind of amp did ya get?

Hope all is well with your back.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 8
ATLbluespad
ATLbluespad
11/21/2005 9:41 pm
My amp is a Behringer Firebird. 15 amp. All of this was a gift to start me out. Finger position is kicking my butt.
# 9
grape nut
grape nut
11/22/2005 10:34 pm
the one thing that bugs me about squires is that generaly the people who play squiers are the people who want to play to say they play, and never actualy get that good. I'd have to agree, a starard yamaha pacifica will come with 2 single coil pickups and a humbucker for a thicker sound. while not a great guitar it will lend itself to alot of good things. and then there is always sammick, people make fun of sammick because it's a low end made in china guitar. but they are a solid breed, htey actualy make, I think, over 50% of all guitars on the market, generaly if a company has a model that is made in south east asia, like squire, it is made in a sammick factory. so they make fenders gibsons PRS's ibanez, just about everything on the market.
# 10
binfordtools
binfordtools
11/23/2005 1:24 pm
[QUOTE=grape nut]the one thing that bugs me about squires is that generaly the people who play squiers are the people who want to play to say they play, and never actualy get that good. QUOTE]

Not to pigion hole Squire players or anything! What about people who would like to learn how to play first without spending the kids tuition money on a guitar? I would be willing to bet that many good players started out on a $159.00 Squire.
"I'm a rocker dude through and through. I like Van Halen, not Van Hagar" - Joe Dirt
# 11
ATLbluespad
ATLbluespad
11/27/2005 2:03 am
Thanks for all the responses. As far as the choice I made, I picked the Squire for the price. I figured if I let it become a laundry rack, at least I didn't sink a boatload of money. Imagine if I bought a Fender w/ a Peavy amp and let it sit. I'd cry and most musician's would want to kick my butt.
# 12
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/27/2005 9:59 am
Originally Posted by: ATLbluespadThanks for all the responses. As far as the choice I made, I picked the Squire for the price. I figured if I let it become a laundry rack, at least I didn't sink a boatload of money. Imagine if I bought a Fender w/ a Peavy amp and let it sit. I'd cry and most musician's would want to kick my butt.

True.......or you could sell it! :D
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
srvstrat
srvstrat
12/02/2005 1:26 am
Glad to hear your just hurt and not worse off. My advice to you is this...
Try to picture in your mind the type of music you would like to play the most. For the reason is that a lot of diffrent styles sound better with diffrent types of axes. Let me know, I'll help you in your search...SRVFAN:)
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.