palm muting

Shredda_42
Shredda_42
10/06/2005 10:40 am
what is it....plam muting, palm muted, whatever tense it is used..well it would be greatly appreciated if someone could explain it to me...Thankyou XOXOX
[FONT=Impact]_,.-'`^`'-.,_"Shredda"_,.-'`^`'-.,_[/FONT]
# 1
jk_647
jk_647
10/06/2005 10:51 am
Hey dude the best way i think of describing palm muting (Pm- as referd to in tabs) is to say to its liek dampening the strings you put the bridge of your hand over the bridge of your guitatr. to try and practise it hit like the top E then put Palm(bridge) of your hand over the bridge of your guitar and hit the top E again and you will notice the difference. it just gives it a muted sound lol. Hope tht helps dude you could try using pm for power chords or something
Why doesn't my amp go up to 11, :(
Spinal Tap Rock
# 2

10/06/2005 12:01 pm
What JK said is right on

What I could add to it is that palming is different from one guitar to another. You really need to experiment here but depending on how your bridge is, you'll have to place your hand on different position.

Usually, your chords will ring more the closest to the bridge you mute. Try it, place your hand and mute just before the bridge, then hit an Em chord a few times. Now place your hand between your neck and bridge pickup, now hit the Em again. Doesn`t sound the same right?

I'll give you that muting while your hand is between both pickups is not really effective lol but it`s only so you understand palm muting. The farther from the bridge you mute, the fastest your sound will die.

On my SG for exemple, I have to place my muting hand as far as possible to get the best sound. Otherwise the sound dies too fast and I don`t really like that :)
# 3
bardo2
bardo2
10/06/2005 3:15 pm
I prefer resting the back of my palm on the body of the guitar(close to the bridge)and get use to strumming that way.Lightly feel the strings vibrating on the left side on your palm.It takes pratice but before long you don't even think about it.
Find your comfy resting spot for your palm.
Go get em
# 4
Fenderalltheway
Fenderalltheway
10/09/2005 1:58 am
i just put my palm neer the bridge and it mutes :D
"When you want to rock hard children, lean of F#."
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/09/2005 5:13 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Lightly rest the edge of your hand, like you were applying a 'karate chop', on the bridge. As you roll your hand over to pick the strings, more of your hand touches the strings, applying more muting. You can vary the amount of muting by adjusting your hand position on the bridge. This produces very consistent, controlled muting. Trying to palm-mute up between the pickups will probably just frustrate you initially, and even after a lot of practice, its hard to be consistent with it.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Shredda_42
Shredda_42
10/10/2005 9:17 am
thankyou so so so so so much, you guys all rock! I love you
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
[FONT=Impact]_,.-'`^`'-.,_"Shredda"_,.-'`^`'-.,_[/FONT]
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.