peizo opinions

tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/25/2005 2:43 am
okay so i've trimmed down the selection of my next guitar to either a parker p-38 or a fender nashville power tele....i was wondering if anyone has experience on either guitars and has any negative comments about either guitar.

i've played a p-38 before but i don't know if maybe the guitar i played was the exception or the rule so comments are welcome on that and i've never touched a nashville power tele so all opinions are welcome on that.

the p-38 is discontinued so it's harder to find but i've heard reports from musician's friends' comments page that the power tele's peizo circuitry can have problems and is particularly sensative/delicate?

so comments on either one? i don't mind the difference between the humbucker on the bridge in the parker and the single on the fender...that's nothing that concerns me immediately because i can work with either.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/25/2005 4:44 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]I haven't played either of those, but since you like Tele's and you're OK with seeking out used, discontinued models, I'd like to suggest a Washburn SBT-21.

It's a Tele style body with a rosewood/maple neck and a pointy 80's kinda headstock. The gridge is an acoustic type with individual piezo saddles and active electronics. Fishman, I think. They're a quality Korean build, so good bang for the buck. It doesn't have any other pickups on it, meaning you're free to install whatever you want. I've had mine since last December, and I'm starting to think a P-90 at the neck would work well with the 'acoustic' sound from the piezo setup. Most of the piezo bridges I've sampled have an annoyingly thin twangy sound to them because they sense the vibration at the very end of the string, but this SBT-21 sounds very natural and acoustic.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2005 2:19 am
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Most of the piezo bridges I've sampled have an annoyingly thin twangy sound to them because they sense the vibration at the very end of the string, but this SBT-21 sounds very natural and acoustic.[/font]

see that's a concern and one reason why i like the p-38...the acoustic tone on it is full and responsive.

also, i want something that does have the diversity of at least 3 pickups like a strat. but i don't mind either way if the bridge is a hum or single....and looking up about the guitar, i found a message board...

http://www.washburn.com/jamgroup1/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=716

the guy says that you shouldn't do any body mods...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/26/2005 2:50 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, I saw that when I researched the SBT-21 before I bid on it on eBay. I also found another one for sale in the UK that had a pickup installed near the neck. And I've talked to a few luthiers about what would be involved. I'm not intimidated by the task.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 4
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2005 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]Yeah, I saw that when I researched the SBT-21 before I bid on it on eBay. I also found another one for sale in the UK that had a pickup installed near the neck. And I've talked to a few luthiers about what would be involved. I'm not intimidated by the task.[/font]

i have a bid on a parker p-38 right now but i doubt i'm gonna get it because i don't know what the reserve is, don't feel like going too much higher than my current bid....and well, i was drunk when i bid on it.
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/26/2005 9:32 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]LMAO! :D

That's pretty much how I ended up with my SBT-21 instead of an old Yamaha SG-2 that I was also looking at.

I gather the reserve isn't met yet. When in doubt, let it go. If the auction ends without the reserve being met, the seller can contact bidders for a 'second chance' offer. There are nasty scammers who send fraudulent second chance offers to unsuccessful bidders after auctions close. Don't reply directly to such offers. If you get a second chance offer, post your reply through the eBay listing so that you can be sure it's legitimate. [/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
tehplatypus
tehplatypus
09/26/2005 10:48 pm
actually i just upped my bid and broke the reserve....now i have to hope no one else bids on it....one day.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.