Modelling Amps

Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/16/2005 6:10 pm
Having last played a guitar nearly twenty-five years ago (I'm now 46) I've decided to take it up again (mid-life crisis?). I was always heavily blues influenced (BB King, Clapton, Kossoff, Page) and nothing much has changed in the intervening years. I had a strat before but I've pretty much decided to buy an Epiphone Sheraton. The problem I can't resolve is which amp to buy. Back in my youth modelling amps didn't exist (I had an original Vox AC30 with blue speakers) - But they seem to be an incredibly good idea. The problem is I can't decide between the Vox Ad50VT or the Line 6 Flextone III. It's difficult to make a direct comparison because I can't find any info on the Vox site as to exactly what amps are modelled. I'm tempted to stick with Vox out of loyalty but the Line 6 amp does seem to be better thought out and of better build quality. Can anyone with experience of these amps point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/16/2005 7:42 pm
I have experience with Line 6's POD series modelers, but not with the Flextone amps (they use the same amp models though). The Line 6 stuff is great, but honestly, I don't think you'd be going wrong with either amp. Too bad you don't still have that AC30!
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
09/16/2005 8:12 pm
If it's any help I have a Vox AD50VT and I love it.
At the time I bought it I had a go with the line 6 and personally preferred the Vox. The salesman also stated that he thought the Vox was the better amp.
In truth I can't get a bad sound out of the Vox

All these things are pretty subjective so if you can give both a try before you commit then so much the better.
[FONT=Tahoma]Jedicaster[/FONT]

I am vibrating at the speed of light.
# 3
VHLO
VHLO
09/16/2005 10:53 pm
I been using POD for a while and sounds great but let me tell you that I just heard a VOX AC30 and would kill for one of those....here in Mexico its almost imposible get one :(
# 4
Kaffirlime
Kaffirlime
09/18/2005 7:25 pm
Thanks to everyone who responded - As the general feeling seems to be in support of Vox amps I've decided to stick with what I know and go with the flow (sorry Line 6). However, I've almost convinced myself to go with the AD60VT rather than the AD50VT - I say almost, because it's nearly twice the price. The way Vox are marketing these amps has got me totally confused - Despite both being branded as part of the Valtronix series they seem to be completely different animals - the AD60VT and AD120VT both have 16 amp models and 21 effects whereas the AD15VT/30VT/50VT models only have 11 amp types and 11 effects. Added to that the lesser models come with a naff chromed metal/plastic(?) front grill whereas the 60/120 models come with the legendary diamond cloth (hey, looks are important). What's going on here - to all intents and purposes these are two completely different familiesw of amps branded as one. To make matters more confusing Vox have introduced VTX versions of the 60 and 100 watt amps - the only difference i can percieve is that the VTX versions have Celestion NeoDog speakers and the lesser brand only have what is referred to as "custom-voiced Celestion speaker". I Have no idea how much better the Neodog's are but the price hike is about £80 ($144) so I'll be giving that a miss (for a mid-life crisis purchase my amp/guitar/accessory package has already exceeded £800 (almost $1500 dollars) - Hope i can still play! :D
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.