Wierd sounds from my AMP

bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/14/2005 6:06 pm
I have a B52 AT100 tri-rectifier amp and a matching 4x12 cab. I run my guitar into my GNX4 from there to a BBE 362 sonic maximizer from there into my effects return on my amp. Last night I was playing and I started hearing some periodic scratchy noise so I stopped playing and my amp still made the noise. Haven't been able to get it to do it again but what might cause this?
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/14/2005 7:57 pm
Impossible to say without actually hearing it.
It could be anything from a short in a cord or your guitar plug, volume/tone controls... loose speaker grill or cone, tube problems.. RF frequencies, lightning, ghosts etc etc..
All you can do is wait for it to happen again and work your way from one end to the other to isolate where it's coming from.
Start at the guitar and see if wiggling anything makes it happen.. the pickups, the controls, the plug, the cable... move down the cable to the next piece of equipment and just keep going, checking for shorts anywhere.
If you hear it again, try to narrow down where it's happening in the chain.
# 2
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/14/2005 8:05 pm
My question is, why on earth are you playing a GNX4 thingy through the amp instead of playing the amp it's self? It seems to be a perfectly good tube amp. You ever tried plugging straight into the amp and using the GNX4 in the loop for effects only?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 3
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
09/14/2005 10:05 pm
Oh yeah, the amp sounds great by itself but I can get alot of different tones with the GNX and edit them until my ear says whoa! Granted the factory presets are crap, you can download better presets on the sound forum that sound great. It's really about flexabillity. Anyone can buy a half stack and plug a guitar straight into it and play it. I like to be able to tweak my sound in a variety of ways and the GNX lets me do that. I have used the GNX solely in the effects loop but didn't like it very much. Running it through the BBE gives me a better sound that is not so "digital" so I think it's more versatile the way I have it. If I keep hearing that noise though, I will have to start rearranging some things to try and eliminate it. Haven't heard it again yet.
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.