View post (deciding on what new gear to get)

View thread

tomcas929
Blues, Blues-Rock Fanatic
tomcas929
Blues, Blues-Rock Fanatic
09/13/2005 11:19 am
I can tell you if you want a nice little, simple, versatile, and cheap practice amp then get a Roland Micro-cube. But only truly for practice. You will not be able to play with a drummer with this. But you can take it in the park as it's optionally battery powered! Blow away your acoustic strumming friends! I use mine all the time. It is a modeling amp with some decent sounds and a few very useful effects, great for trying different sounds on the fly when songwriting/arranging. Just remember it's only for practice, you will NOT get a great sound if you crank it. It's only 2 watts!!

If you want an all in one practice package, try out the new Fender G-Dec. Too much to explain, look it up. I've been playing for 9 years and I'm looking to get one as a practice/learning tool. Again, it probably won't work in a band situation but it's MUCH more like a real amp than the Micro-Cube. I love the cube but it does have limitations.

Nothing beats the sonic qualities of a real amp but when you live in an apartment you have to be realistic.

As for the 24 fret guitar I'd save up a few more beans and get a mid-priced ($500 ??) Ibanez. I'm weary of buying used guitars online. And very weary of $200 guitars. A used or cheap guitar that seems good to a newbie could have major fret problems....amongst other things.

-Tom