Humbuckers?

SoulDistortion
SoulDistortion
09/11/2005 12:52 pm
How do humbuckers change the tone of a guitar in addition to the tone quaility in general. I have heard that humbuckers are optimized for Metal but im not quite sure. Anyone have any info about humbuckers they can share. Including price in addition to tone. Any information would be great.
---iiholly
My friend died rock climbing on Saturday. He was drunk though... and he didn't normally rock climb. [...] I'm not too good with death.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
I hesitate to take a post from iiholly seriously...
---iiholly
Well, Mike dying is pretty serious to me. I couldn't have stopped it, I wasn't there.
---6strngs_2hmbkrs
sorry, ok, i thought it might have been a joke, I'm terribly sorry
---Akira
This thread has turned out well.
# 1
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
jedicaster
Mine's 1 louder
09/11/2005 1:45 pm
for me the main difference a Humbucker makes is the lack of noise (hum).
Humbuckers can be very versatile bits of kit. It all depends on their output.
You will see some with names such as screamin demon or Humbucker from hell. These are obviously high output and would be ideal for metal. However those with a lower output say the vintage types would be suited to country, jazz and rock etc.
Have a look at the Seymour Duncan site or Dimarzio. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]Jedicaster[/FONT]

I am vibrating at the speed of light.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/11/2005 3:22 pm
[font=trebuchet ms]Please use the Search button in the toolbar at the top of the page to pull up some of the archived threads on this subject. There's a lot of good info in there.

BTW: the Humbucker From Hell is a DiMarzio design that was developed for use in the neck position with the intention of cleaning up a muddy guitar. The name comes from the tone resulting from (mis)using it in the bridge position. In the neck position, it works well for any style that needs clear note definition.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
aschleman
aschleman
09/13/2005 1:46 pm
Humbuckers are essentially two single coils wired together. This cancels what is called "60-cycle" hum. Single coil pickups tend to have a hum that goes along with the switch positions that select only one pickup at a time. In the early Strat days the Strats only had 3 pickup positions... leaving every position with a nice hearty hum... which really has become part of the Strat sound... Gibson introduced the "Humbucker" when they realized that if you hold the Strat pickup selector inbetween any two of the 3 positions... it would select two pickups... thus cancelling the hum. Gibson took it a step further and created the Humbuckers we know now. The tone is generally fatter... with a wider range of frequencies... You can get into a lot of detail when it comes to describing the tone of humbuckers... whether they're active or passive, what kind of magnet they have (alnico IV, alnico V,or ceramic)... and what guitar they're on. All those things influence the sound of the pick up itself. Some humbuckers sound very similar to single coil pickups... but without the hum... depending on how you wire a humbucker you can have the ability to go in and out of vintage and modern tones by coil tapping... coil tapping is when you wire a kill switch to one of the single coils that make up a humbucker... this allows you to cut the signal to one of the coils... giving it a nice strat'ish tone with hum cancelling ability... or engeage both coils and have a nice modern tone. Some humbuckers... like the EMG 60, 91, and 85s are active... which means they need a battery powered preamp to run them... this makes them very high output... great for distortion... put the fact htat they have ceramic magnets on top of that... and that makes them that much hotter (high output). They get great distortion in any application... but they don't get great vintage tones. And when it comes to vintage strat tones... their is no substitute for a good Fender single coil pickup set. You can use the search feature on this site to search the thread about pickup magnets.... or humbuckers... or single coils... and there should be some more good info.
# 4
Brian H.
Brian H.
09/14/2005 12:48 am
May I suggest a Dimarzo X2N. It's hot with 510 millivolts output with no batteries. It cost about 65.00.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.