pick ups n a buzzing amp

markc2005
markc2005
08/28/2005 4:35 pm
hi im a beginner at this, i wanna know if expensive pick ups make a huge differance to the sound, and how humbucker pick ups are differant to single coils.
One more thing the guitar i bought cost Ā£150 with a amp and the guy at the shop put in some humbucker pick ups what erm qualitydo u think they will be and would if make the guitar sound better if i ever replaced them with more expensive things. oh and finaly my amp buzzes when i turn overdrive on its only 10 watt so is that normal, its fine when im using it for a clean sound when i touch the strings or the bridge or the tremelo arm it stop stops buzzing.

oh and if i have the volume pot on my guitar right up the buzziing goes downa a bit same if i have tone right down

the pickups are deffinatly humbucker because i have 2 single coil and a humbucker

would a noise gate reduce the buzz?
and can some1 tell me some pick ups which give really high distortion for about Ā£40 so i dont have to use overdrive
humans aren't imortal
but rock and roll will never die
:cool:

my soundclick page nothing very impressive though
# 1
markc2005
markc2005
08/28/2005 4:39 pm
hi im a beginner at this, i wanna know if expensive pick ups make a huge differance to the sound, and how humbucker pick ups are differant to single coils.
One more thing the guitar i bought cost Ā£150 with a amp and the guy at the shop put in some humbucker pick ups what erm qualitydo u think they will be and would if make the guitar sound better if i ever replaced them with more expensive things. oh and finaly my amp buzzes when i turn overdrive on its only 10 watt so is that normal, its fine when im using it for a clean sound, would a noise gate stop it doing that? when i touch the strings or the bridge or the tremelo arm it stop stops buzzing.
humans aren't imortal

# 2
FireAndIce24
FireAndIce24
08/28/2005 6:09 pm
stock pickups , the ones currently in your guitar are ok but usually not great. by ok i mean they will do thier job and maybe not much more. If u went and got let say a seymore duncan double coil (double coil, humbucker, same thing... :rolleyes: ) that has a high output, youre gonna get more distortion and more volume. every pickup has its own sound to it. your gonna find the one u like

as for single coils and doublecoils, from what i know singles are brighter and gennerally more noisy. double coils are 2 single coils wired together to cancel buzzing noise. double coils have a thicker meaner tone.
# 3
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
08/29/2005 12:04 am
Are you shure thery're not single coils. With single coils you'll get buzzing when you use distortion and sometimes during clean playing, humbukers you dont hear any buzzing. I wouldn't worry about changeing your pickups for now. If you absolutely need better ones, it prob be better to get a better guitar instead since its a cheaper guitar.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/29/2005 3:52 am
Originally Posted by: markc2005hi im a beginner at this, i wanna know if expensive pick ups make a huge differance to the sound, and how humbucker pick ups are differant to single coils...
Does >this< help?
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
monkeypie420
Monkeypie
monkeypie420
Monkeypie
08/29/2005 5:28 am
Yikes-- sounds like you have a short-circuit somewhere.

Don't play it in the bathtub, okay?

--Monkeypie,
feeling goofy tonight :D
# 6
Gibson13601
Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms
Gibson13601
Skinny Tops Heavy Bottoms
08/29/2005 7:49 pm
From my exp taking your hand off the strings when Distortion of any kind is engaged and you are not playing, will give a slight hum or buzz through your amp no matter how good the Distortion unit is. And the more gain ya got the more noise ya get. So I wouldnt worry to much about it at this point. But if the Hum or buzzing is noticable while playing...then you have an issue.
Im a small town White Boy just trying to makes ends meat!
# 7
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
08/29/2005 9:40 pm
Can't really base the quality of a pickup on the price.....I love the Dimarzio Tone Zone I recently put in my SG, and it was only around $50. You'll just have to try some out, read the description on the websites....or better yet, read reviews of pickups on harmony central...

www.harmony-central.com
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 8
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
6strngs_2hmbkrs
Proud Celica Enthusiast
08/30/2005 7:02 am
Originally Posted by: elklandercchumbukers you dont hear any buzzing.

well, you do still hear buzzing even with humbucker pickups, it's just considerably less then single coils, and i think it's probably impossible to completely get rid of buzzing in high gain situations. I saw a professional metal band in concert, and even though they were using some top of the line stuff (marshall amps, one had a gibson sg, the other had a schecter c-1 something) and they still had buzzing in between songs.

but to you, don't worry about the buzzing too much, you can't even hear it when you're playing anyway. though some decent humbuckers probably would help to reduce it. (my cheapo ibanez with stock pickups buzzes alot more then my gibson sg with stock pickups, so I believe that pickups do have some impact on buzzing)
If you like cars see mine here
my spyspace
# 9
markc2005
markc2005
09/02/2005 11:18 am
chrz i think its probably just a natural buzz after readin what uv all sed, i think its earthed through the bridge and cos theres a wire soldered to it, (i took the back of for thge first time 2day)
humans aren't imortal

# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
09/02/2005 4:17 pm
New pickups definitely help but it also helps to check that your guitar is properly earthed. When you get those two potential probs sorted out then you can look at getting a noise gate pedal if you are playing live or doing serious recording at home.
# 11
markc2005
markc2005
09/02/2005 6:52 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanNew pickups definitely help but it also helps to check that your guitar is properly earthed. When you get those two potential probs sorted out then you can look at getting a noise gate pedal if you are playing live or doing serious recording at home.

so how do i make sure it is properly earthed?
humans aren't imortal

# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.