Hearing notes as freqs?

Hamberg
Hamberg
08/28/2005 6:32 am
Does anyone one else hear notes as frequencies rather then just notes? I've been playing music on one type of an instrument or anthoer for anout 12 years. For the first time the other day I heard the notes as frequencies instead of the notes themselves.

What about hearing rhythms as notes? I've been hearing this alot since I got a drum machine.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 1
rockonn91
rockonn91
08/28/2005 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: HambergDoes anyone one else hear notes as frequencies rather then just notes? I've been playing music on one type of an instrument or anthoer for anout 12 years. For the first time the other day I heard the notes as frequencies instead of the notes themselves.

What about hearing rhythms as notes? I've been hearing this alot since I got a drum machine.

thats pretty cool. every now and then ill hear a frequency but then ill try to hear it like that again and cant.

but the thing about the drum machine im just like you-ill hear tones which (i guess) is cool.
JK :cool:

-Agile Guitars Enthusiast
# 2
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/28/2005 9:23 pm
Originally Posted by: HambergDoes anyone one else hear notes as frequencies rather then just notes?

Care to elaborate?
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 3
monkeypie420
Monkeypie
monkeypie420
Monkeypie
08/28/2005 10:05 pm
Hey Jolly: Just read yout post re 'hearing notes as frequencies' and I had to reply. See, I live with a weirdass condition called 'Synesthesia', where not only do I hear frequencies, I sometimes SMELL the notes. Colors have flavors to me, sounds are sometimes visual; it's all quite delightful, believe it or not.

Now, I do recall a time where I was tuning my 12-string and the tones wound out of the soundhole as ribbons of color, assorted and fragrant. I guess you had to have been there ;)

--monkeypie

ps: Yes, the acid did wear off. Still get those colors, though..
# 4
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
08/31/2005 2:39 pm
Originally Posted by: CW14THAT is awesome. What do they smell like?

LSD10characters
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 5
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
08/31/2005 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: monkeypie420Hey Jolly: Just read yout post re 'hearing notes as frequencies' and I had to reply. See, I live with a weirdass condition called 'Synesthesia', where not only do I hear frequencies, I sometimes SMELL the notes. Colors have flavors to me, sounds are sometimes visual; it's all quite delightful, believe it or not.

Now, I do recall a time where I was tuning my 12-string and the tones wound out of the soundhole as ribbons of color, assorted and fragrant. I guess you had to have been there ;)

--monkeypie

ps: Yes, the acid did wear off. Still get those colors, though..

I've heard of that condition. It's pretty rare. I saw a special on the Discovery channel about it once. This one guy was talking about how overwhelming it was for him to see an orchestra play..
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.