Help - I am into a rut !!!!

BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/09/2001 9:03 pm
Hello,
i have practised on many things, bends, vibrato, trill,
scales, arpeggios, chords, rhythm, tapping, songs, theory, sight reading, transcribing, fingerstyle, slide guitar,
i feel i am into a rut, can you tell me something else to try, what do you do when you are into a rut?

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 1
zepo
zepo
05/09/2001 11:48 pm
Have you ever thought of being in a band and doing that thing?????? That will keep you interested.
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/10/2001 1:43 am
zepo's got it right, man. If you're not in a band, just what is you're practicing for???

If all you ever do is play with yourself, there's a word for that. One not commonly associated with guitar! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
05/10/2001 5:29 pm
Youve had two good reply's. And apart from the beauty of playing with others( in the guitar/band sense ) if you **** up you can learn from the other's advice/input. Or the moment you drop a clanger stop playing and use a get out of jail phrase, like, angon my amps crackling, or my guitar has gone out of tune, then go red, kick yourself and hope youve not be caught out in youre dispicable ruse.

Riff and be merry....
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 4
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/11/2001 9:47 pm
Write a song. Or a ditty.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 5
Fender Man
Fender Man
05/11/2001 10:46 pm
You can do what I like to do sometimes if I'm by myself. Put the Eric Clapton "Blues" cd on and play along with Eric. Most of the songs only have 3 basic chords that I can take and improvise and just make solos and play along with Eric.

By the way it's a really good cd. It a 2 disc set (one studio blues and the other live blues). It's got a lot of good classics.

Try that, it might help.
"I'll stand up next to a mountain and chop it down with the edge of my hand."
-Jimi Hendrix
# 6
Kirk Hammett is God
Kirk Hammett is God
05/11/2001 11:29 pm
Why don't you learn how to do some artificial harmonics?

Kirk Hammett is God!!!
MYK
# 7
MajinMojo
MajinMojo
05/16/2001 10:23 pm
whoa,...put down your guitarfor a while, step outside, get a good woman, down some alcohol, see a movie, drink more, keep driving with the woman in your car until you pass out. Then repeat as desired. Then pick up that guitar again and write a song about getting drunk with women and forgetting about it the next day.
# 8
BluesShredder
BluesShredder
05/16/2001 11:31 pm
all the things you mentioned sound great, but i wouldnt like to try them, i must spend a lot of time for all these and i cant imagine myself without my guitar, besides my guitar is the best woman i ever had and i will ever have and i dont alcohol to get drunk, music can do the same thing and its a trip

"I got this bad feeling my baby dont live here no more,
...thats all right i got my guitar"
- Jimi Hendrix

Blues Shredder
Peter
# 9
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
05/17/2001 10:26 pm
Originally posted by BluesShredder
all the things you mentioned sound great, but i wouldnt like to try them, i must spend a lot of time for all these and i cant imagine myself without my guitar, besides my guitar is the best woman i ever had and i will ever have and i dont alcohol to get drunk, music can do the same thing and its a trip

"I got this bad feeling my baby dont live here no more,
...thats all right i got my guitar"
- Jimi Hendrix

Blues Shredder

Above - the definition of obsession.

No offense.
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 10
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/18/2001 1:43 am
To some degree I agree with you, why would you want to be seperated from your guitar? I understand that it also feels to me sometimes like my guitar is my life, and all I want to do is play it, but then waht is their to play? If you don't go out and live, and by that I mean go out, do different things, meet new peopke, fall in love, break up, decide you hate all women, fall for someone else, etc, what is their to write about? Whya re you playing the guitar? I mean to play blues, real blues, you've gotta have the blues. And to have the blues means to find yourself without enough money to buy food while having your woman leave you for someone else, and squatting in an abandoned warehouse for a week while you play guitar to earn some money. I mean, sure this is a bit romantic, and a bit patronising, but thier is an element of truth to it I think. There are times I have taught myself- someone who has a remarkably comfortable life, and who deosn't do crazy things that often- to leave myself no moeny to get home, to not make plans, and see where things take me, so I have something to think about. Music is life, life is music, and I love them both.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 11
raymond james
raymond james
05/18/2001 7:18 pm
Go play with some people, form a band, jam with a friend, teach, takea walk, engage your soul, let your mind wonder and breath.
# 12
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/18/2001 8:48 pm

Hmmm . . . what did everyone tell me when I posted that I was stuck in a rut? They said to start writing songs, develop and finish them. Learn different styles. Alternate tunings and drop tunings.

And you know what? . . . it worked. I started writing new songs and learning other popular ones. Doing wacky stuff with tunings.

I was out of the rut in no time. So best of luck to you dude.
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.