..yer basic Warmoth Tele

RobSm
RobSm
08/21/2005 8:44 am
It's done!! and it works despite my soldering.

http://photobucket.com/albums/y151/0-fanlee-0/

The photos are a bit on the light side. I was considering boot polishing the neck but is just too good to touch and in real life is a bit more tan.

Between the two parallel projects I learned lots. About finishing on the SAGA. It presented no challenges in assembling..while I bought the Warmoth body & neck already finished (I'm glad I did because they're top) but had to practice soldering, decide on wiring issues and actually drill that beautiful hunk of wood.

I was pessimistic about my soldering since I'd read all about nice shiny joints & the dreaded dull grey cold joints. I gotta say a few of mine looked very unshiny. It was quite funny...I hauled out my amp set it up plugged the lead into my new baby &...silence..oh gawd..no I will not cry..I'd forgotten to plug the other end of the lead into the amp...aaaaahhhhh...YES!!

Info: Warmoth Swamp ash butterscotch blonde
Warmoth Birdseye maple 22 fret neck
Fender Schaller locking tuners
Callaham hardware kit
Lindy Fralin pickups (StandardTele)
Result: to me priceless. Again there are some skeletons hidden, but believe it or not that is what makes it more special.

One happy 'accident'. There was a mark on the Bakelite scratch guard. I steel wooled it with a view to bringing it back up to the original shine..but it looked HEAPS better just steel wooled. 0000 grade. The matte of the scratch guard just contrasts beautifully with the gloss of the tele.

I will figure out how & where to put some sound files & post the link.

Thanks to all for reading this and for answering the many basic questions I've asked in the past.

Next project? My wife wants to paint a strat body and I'm in credit on a SAGA kit since my first order was stolen in the mail....so I'll get her a SAGA strat & get into the finishing with her...and for me I'm thinking of a chambered Les Paul double cut. I will probably have a go at doing my own finishing...nice dark cherry burst or something.No problems going Warmoth again. They're fine to deal with.Man the possibilites are endless!!! I can see why people really want to build from the bare slabs upwards, but I don't have access to the sorts of tools and instruction that would make that feasible for me. ( I'm in rural New South Wales).

Warmoth get your order pad ready!! LOL!!
Robbo
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
08/21/2005 6:16 pm
That looks great! You're making it very hard not to go in debt right now. I've been GAS'in for a Warmoth Tele for a long time now. Again, great job! Can't wait to hear it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
bigbuda
Vote For Pedro
08/29/2005 11:34 pm
Sweet axe dude!
I am a constant evolving music machine. Oh Man, I just forgot what I was playing. Oh well, on to the next song. :rolleyes:
# 3
konman
konman
09/01/2005 4:15 am
and how much did this beauty cost you? how long did it take you? :cool:
# 4
RobSm
RobSm
09/01/2005 12:17 pm
Hi,

Glad you liked it despite the crappy picture.(our camera needs a service I think)
OK Warmoth neck Birdseye maple finished US$308.00
Warmoth body swamp ash finished US$320.00
Callaham hardware kit US$283.00
Lindy Fralin Pickups std Tele US$160.00

TOTAL US$1071.00

Postage & freight to Australia (total) US$129.00

Grand total US$1200.00
convert to Aus$ ~1579.00 Aust retail is ~ Aus$2600.00 so it was cost effective and at the time I got a better exchange rate than what I used here. You know the US consumer is in his own heaven..

How long it took is hard because I spent quite a bit of time practising soldering & reading & understanding wirograms..this was all new to me..but actual hands on doing it time was surprisingly short. If you solder well it would be done in a couple of hours. Note I did not do any painting. That's what sucks up the time as one slip means waiting a couple more weeks for your touch ups to dry before continuing.

I hope to have some sound files up soon. My ordinary playing might not show it off too well :mad:

Do you know if soundclick or put file sites cost a lot?

Thanks for your interest.
Robbo
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
09/01/2005 12:36 pm
Soundclick is free. There are optioins where you have to pay, but the free membership works fine.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.