So, ya wanna be a Rock'n'Roll Star?

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
I picked up this link from another forum I hang in. Steve Albini worked on many albums (Nirvana's In Utero, for one) and was the singer/guitarist in Shellac, Big Black, Rapeman, etc. This >rant< predates some of the marketing options now available to bands via the internet, but it still paints a vivid picture...
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
All I can say is....D**!
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Akira
"The A&R guy was full of great ideas, even talked about using a name producer. Butch Vig is out of the question —he wants 100 g’s and three points, but they can get Don Fleming for $30,000 plus three points. Even that’s a little steep, so maybe they’ll go with that guy who used to be in David Letterman’s band. He only wants three points. Or they can have just anybody record it (like Warton Tiers, maybe —cost you 5 or 10 grand) and have Andy Wallace remix it for 4 grand a track plus 2 points. It was a lot to think about."

What is the "points" thing all about? Sorry. :o

Very interesting article though, definetly worth the read. Very eye opening. :eek:
You can now find me >here<
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Points is money from sales depending on how the contract is written.
Basically, if the album tanks, you make nothing.
If it goes big, you make $$
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Originally Posted by: AkiraWhat is the "points" thing all about?
[font=trebuchet ms]Points = percentage. 3 points = 3%

The actual amount can get nasty, depending on what that percentage is based on. As you can see, there's a huge difference between a percentage of the gross income, and the net profit. From the band's point of view, anyway. Everybody else makes out like bandits.[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Originally Posted by: schmangePoints is money from sales depending on how the contract is written.
Basically, if the album tanks, you make nothing.
If it goes big, you make $$
[font=trebuchet ms]And as you can see in the example, even sales of 250,000 left them with a $14,000 debt on the royalties! :eek:

Makes you wanna run right out and sign up, dunnit?[/font]
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 6
Hamberg
Originally Posted by: Lordathestrings[font=trebuchet ms]And as you can see in the example, even sales of 250,000 left them with a $14,000 debt on the royalties! :eek:

Makes you wanna run right out and sign up, dunnit?[/font]

makes me want to get a lawyer if in the unlikely situation it will occur.
Bass guitar is the answer to everything
# 7
Akira
It makes me want to curl up into a ball and eat lots of Corned Beef Hash.
You can now find me >here<
# 8
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Originally Posted by: AkiraIt makes me want to curl up into a ball and eat lots of Corned Beef Hash.

With baked beans.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 9
tehplatypus
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI picked up this link from another forum I hang in. Steve Albini worked on many albums (Nirvana's In Utero, for one) and was the singer/guitarist in Shellac, Big Black, Rapeman, etc. This >rant< predates some of the marketing options now available to bands via the internet, but it still paints a vivid picture...

classic. i read that a few years ago...it still holds true.
okay...my post is done...goodbye.
# 10